Roane State Community College
Advising Resource Center (ARC)
> New Advisee Checklist
New Advisee Checklist
- Help student clearly define educational objectives, get acquainted; establish rapport, confirm major, discuss future career plan. Discuss more in-depth program requirements. Provide contact information to the student.
- Explore why they chose that major and inform them they need to do THEIR homework regarding their transfer institution (if applicable). Inform them of things they need to consider about pursuing that particular degree.
- If applicable, explain the differences between the AS/AA degrees and locate appropriate transfer partner information on the Roane State website - keyword: Transfer.
- Inform the student of the resources available on the RSCC webpage: Program requirements, Electronic catalog, RaiderNet, Schedule of Classes, DegreeWorks, Academic Advising webpage, Admissions/Records Office forms, Graduation information, etc. (All items can be found on the Student Resources menu from the RSCC website).
- Check in RaiderNet for Test Scores, verify major, any transfer credit on the student transcript. Run a DegreeWorks evaluation in RaiderNet.
- Work through the course selection process WITH the student; model the process. Instruct the student of the possible pitfalls of course selection: * Days of week * Prerequisites/Co-requisites, * Times * Course sequences * Acceptable course load * Campus location
- If possible, work out more than one semester’s worth of courses. Show the student what they may take during their second semester. (Use the Graduation Plan Form – on Academic Advising web page listed under Forms for Students). Particularly helpful for health science/nursing students who need to meet eligibility requirements or students who have learning support coursework to complete.
- If the student is undecided with their major, encourage them to schedule an appointment with the Counseling, Career and Disability Services office so that they can review their options with a counselor. A student needs to decide within their first year of attendance in order to avoid taking unnecessary courses.
- Be sure the student knows HOW to register for classes through RaiderNet on the RSCC web site. Let them know that you will be checking to see that they got signed up for their courses. The Advising webpage has short instructional videos.
- Exchange contact information with the student. If you used the Graduation Plan Form, give them a copy and keep one for yourself.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998