Revised March 2003
The name of this organization shall be the Student Government Association (SGA) of Roane State Community College.
Being aware of the powers and responsibilities of self-government, we, the students of Roane State Community College, accept the responsibility of providing opportunity for students to offer constructive opinion, promoting cooperation among students, faculty, and administration, and working for the common good of Roane State Community College.
All members of the Student body shall be subject to this Constitution and other official actions of the SGA, and are entitled to the privileges of expression and representation as defined by this Constitution.
MEMBERSHIP AND STRUCTURE
Each student registering in college-credit at Roane State Community College shall be considered a member of the Student Body and shall enjoy all rights granted by this Constitution.
The Student Government shall consist of two (2) divisions knows as: The Executive Council and the Campus Activities Board (CAB). All divisions will be represented at all Roane State Community College campuses.
- Two members from each of the nine campuses will serve as The Executive Council. One member of this council will serve as the Roane State Community College representative to the Tennessee Student President’s Council.
- Each campus will have a Campus Activities Board consisting of five (5) members, two (2) of which will serve on The Executive Council.
The Executive Council: Legislative powers of the SGA shall be vested in the Executive Council.
- The Executive Council shall consist of two representatives from each of the Nine (9) Roane State Community College campuses representing the student population.
- Membership to the Executive Council shall be chosen by an application and interview process. The prospective council members will be interviewed by a panel consisting of: former Executive Council members and the Campus Activities Board Sponsor. All students interviewed will be informed of the panel’s decision. This process will take place in the spring semester of each year with duties beginning in the fall semester of the next year.
- Executive Council Members shall serve a Chair and Co-Chair of their Campus Activities Board.
- One member will be chosen from The Executive Council to serve as the Roane State Community College TBR Student President’s Council representative.
- The Executive Council meetings shall be chaired by the Coordinator of Student Activities as a non voting member.
The Campus Activities Board: The Campus Activities Board will provide entertainment for their respective campus.
- Nine (9) five (5) member boards will represent each of the Roane State Community College campuses. Each board will have a Chair and a Co-chair that will serve on the SGA Executive Council.
- The prospective board members will be interviewed by a panel consisting of: former executive council members and the Campus Activities Board Sponsor. All students interviewed will be informed of the panel’s decision. This process will take place in the spring semester of each year with duties beginning in the fall semester of the next year.
- One member of each of the Campus Activities Boards will be given the opportunity to attend the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities National Conference. After the conference members of the conference contingency will meet to select programming for the next academic year. Contracts for the selected programming will be negotiated by the Coordinator of Student Activities. These items will be included in the budget to be presented to the SGA Executive Board the following fall.
POWERS AND DUTIES
The Student Government Association Executive Council shall have the power to make such legislation, resolutions, recommendations and endorsements as are deemed necessary to carry out the responsibilities of this government.
- The powers and duties of the SGA Executive Council shall be:
- To administer and enforce this constitution and its statues.
- To make appointments as approved by the College President to ensure student representation in matters concerning the Student Body.
- To call and preside over meetings of the Student Body.
- To call special or emergency meetings of the SGA and Student Body with the approval of the College President, when the SGA deems it necessary to the interest of the SGA or when the Student Body requires such.
- To issue committee orders prescribing membership and duties of student representatives to College Committees.
- To issue executive orders on matters concerning the Student Body welfare.
- To serve as the Traffic Appeals board.
- To select from the body a representative to attend TBR Student President Meetings.
- To propose and enact Amendments to the Constitution.
- To impeach members of the SGA and initiate other disciplinary actions within the SGA.
- To approve the SGA budget and its amendments.
- To act as the Campus Activities Fee Board.
- To invite faculty, staff, administration and student body members to appear before the council on matters concerning the welfare of the Student Body.
- Executive Council members must have an overall average of at least 2.5 when turning in their petitions and must maintain an overall average of 2.25.
- Executive Council members must maintain at least one-half time status on his/her respective campus in order to maintain their seat.
- Executive Board members that accumulate more than two unexcused absences without facing dismissal.
- The powers and duties of the Campus Activities Board
- Campus Activity Board (CAB) members will be responsible for the planning and implementation of all Campus Activities funded through the Student Activities fees.
- The CAB will meet weekly to plan and promote student activities.
- CAB members must have an overall grade point average of at lease 2.50 upon turning in their petitions for candidacy, and must maintain an overall grade point average of at least 2.25 during their term of office.
- The Chair and the CO-chair of the CAB will serve on the Executive Council of the SGA.
This constitution may be amended
The amending procedure shall be as follows:
- The Executive Council shall have the power to initiate the amending process by a two-thirds majority vote on all proposed amendments.
- All proposed amendments passed by the Executive Council must be ratified by a majority of those members voting.
- Upon approval by the Executive Council, all amendments shall be considered henceforth a part of this Constitution.
Members of the SGA who wish to resign from office must submit a formal letter of resignation to the Executive Council with copies going to the Advisor (S), Coordinator of Student Activities, and the Dean of Student Services.
Members of the Executive Council and CAB who resign will be replaced by the CAB on their respective campus.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998