Roane State Community College
Study and Preparation
I. Study before each class and after each class.
A. Before each class study your notes from the previous class, your textbook?s table of contents, and your course syllabus to determine what is going to be presented and discussed in the next class.
1. Identify the definitions and relationships you will need to know and list them.
2. Write out questions such as:
a) What is .......? for each definition
b) What causes .......? or What is caused by? for each relationship
3. Study your notes and the chapter summary and/or the chapter to find these definitions and relationships and list the equations and words for each of them.
4. Show your work to me if:
a) you do not understand what to do
b) you do not understand how to do it
c) you are not able to do it
d) and/or you are not fast enough at doing it.
B. After each class study your notes from the previous class and study the part of your text covered by your notes at the same time.
1. Make a list of all new definitions in your notes or text.
2. Write out the equation for each listed definition from your notes or text and write the words for the definition in English. �If you can not read and write any definition in both mathematics and its corresponding English words you do not know anything about the definition.
3. Try all the homework problems which require you to practice each new definition and time yourself.
4. Make a list of all new relationships among the definitions in your notes or text.
5. Write out the equation for each listed relationship among the definitions from your notes or text and write the words for the relationship among the definitions in English. If you can not read and write any relationship among the definitions in both mathematics and its corresponding English words you do not know anything about the relationship among the definitions.
6. Try all the homework problems which require you to practice each new relationship among the definitions and time yourself.
7. Ask for help for any definition or relationship among the definitions which you do not understand and ask for help for any homework problem you can not work correctly in a reasonable amount of time.
II. In Class
A. Never miss a class unless you must.
1. You are absent if you are not physically in class and if you do not take detailed notes. Being physically present without taking detailed notes is the same as being absent.
a) Take notes of everything discussed in class as well as everything written on the board or presented on a screen on TV monitor.
b) Ask questions about anything you do not understand.
c) Answer questions that are asked to see if what you think is right or wrong.
d) If the class is moving too fast, ask questions.
2. If you must miss a class call or e-mail me with the reason you will not be there enough before the class for me to discuss it with you.
3. If you must miss a class, get a copy of the notes from a classmate that takes good notes and study them as described above.
III. Do your homework correctly. (Homework is practice).
A. If you do not practice correctly, it will not matter how long or how hard you practice.
B. Correct practice requires that you ?
1. Practice at least twice as long between any class in a subject and the next class in the same subject as you spend in class.
2. Do not spend too much time on any one thing or too little time on anything. You must use your practice time according to the priority of each homework problem.
3. Know what you are practicing. All practice should be done to?
a) Learn the definitions in words, mathematics, and pictures.
b) Learn the relationships among the definitions in words, mathematics, and pictures.
c) Learn to use the definitions and their relationships by using the definitions and their relationships to ask and answer questions and to solve problems.
d) Become as fast as you can at using the definitions and their relationships.
4. Know why you are practicing.
a) Practice so you will:
(1) know what to do
(2) know how to do it
(3) be able to do it
(4) be fast enough that people will pay you to do it.