Roane State Community College
Division of Social Science
PHED 1380 001
Fitness For Living I
• Course Type: Face to Face
• Day and Time: Fitness Center Hours of operation = Monday - Thursday 9 am - 6 pm & Friday 9 am - 2 pm
• Credit Hours: 1
• Course Objectives: Students will utilize the Fitness Center at their convenience during operating hours to participate in a total fitness program, the aerobic super circuit, which encompasses cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular endurance, muscular strength, and flexibility.
• Learning Outcomes: After completion of this course, students will understand the advantages of circuit training and the benefits of lifetime physical activity.
• Prerequisites for the course: None
• Course Topics: Proper warm-up and cool-down activities, upper and lower body stretching, and resistance machine training.
• Specific Course Requirements: Each workout must last a minimum of 40 minutes. A proper warm-up and stretching routine must precede each circuit training session and a proper cool-down and stretching routine must follow each session. Students must log-in to the computer system before each workout and log-out of the system after each workout. Each student will have a workout sheet located in a binder on the front desk of the Fitness Center. Students must sign this sheet after each workout and have a Fitness Center staff member sign to verify the workout.
• Locker Room Facilities: Lockers are located in the locker rooms near the Fitness Center. You may use the lockers during the time you are using the Fitness Center. You must supply your own lock and you should remove the lock after you complete your workout. RSCC is not responsible for any items that may be stolen from the locker rooms.
• Fitness Center Codes of Conduct: Athletic shoes (no sandals), shirts (with sleeves), and shorts or warm-up pants are acceptable attire. Clothing with belts and/or zipper and hats are prohibited. Do not have keys, pens, or pencils in your pockets while using the Fitness Center. No food, drink (accept water), or tobacco in the Fitness Center.
TEXTBOOKS AND SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS
• Textbook: Fitness For Living Manual by Garner, Jones, Backstrum, and Ryan Published by Exer-Fit 2000 ISBN: 0-8403-8078-X
• Supplementary Materials: Small Hand Towel
• Name: Monica Boles
• Office: G-214
• Office Hours:
o Monday & Wednesday 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
o Tuesday & Thursday 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM & 3:00 - 5:00 PM
o Friday 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
o Additional hours by appointment
• Phone: (865) 354-3000 Ext. 4388
• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Fitness Center Director: Shaun Simpson
• Email: email@example.com
• Fitness Center Phone Number: (865) 354-3000 Ext. 4499
GRADING PROCEDURE AND GRADING SCALE
• Assignments and Evaluations: Students should complete at least 2 workouts per week in the Fitness Center.
• Grading procedure: Each completed workout (minimum 40 minutes) counts as 1 point toward your grade. Only 1 workout per day can be counted for grading purposes but students may complete multiple workouts per day if they wish. Attending the Orientation and successful completion of the Pre-Test Assessment will count as 3 points. Once students complete 15 workouts, they will be eligible to sign up for a Post-Test Assessment that will be worth 2 points.
• Grading scale:
Letter Grade Points
A 35 or more points
B 34 - 28 points
C 27 - 22 points
D 21 - 18 points
F 17 or less points
PLAGIARISM AND ACADEMIC INTEGRITY
• Academic Misconduct includes, but is not limited to, Plagiarism, Cheating, Fabrication and Facilitation. Academic misconduct is prohibited. Upon identification of misconduct, an instructor has the authority to assign an “F” or a zero for the exercise, the examination, or the entire course. Students guilty of academic misconduct that would typically result in the grade of “F” for the course will not be permitted to drop the class in which the academic misconduct occurred. The instructor will contact the appropriate Division Dean who will then contact Records and request that an administrative hold be placed on the course in question. The instructor will notify the student of the appropriate due process/appeal procedure. The administrative hold will remain in place until the academic misconduct matter is concluded.
STUDENTS WITH DISABILITIES
• Qualified students with disabilities will be provided reasonable and necessary academic accommodations if determined eligible by the appropriate disability services office staff. Prior to granting disability accommodations in the course, the instructor must receive written verification of a student's eligibility for specific accommodations from the disability services office staff. It is the student's responsibility to initiate contact with the disability services staff and to follow the established procedures for having the accommodation notice sent to the instructor.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND ADDITIONAL STUDENT RESOURSES
• CTAT/Help Desk: (865) 882-4556 / (865) 354-3000 Ext. 4357
• The Instructor reserves the right to make changes to the syllabus as long as the students are notified.
Important Dates to Remember
• August 27 - Mandatory Orientation 6 to 8 PM (Harriman Gym Room G-200)
• August 28 - Mandatory Pre-Test Assessment (Harriman Gym Room G-200)
• August 29 - Workouts Begin
• September 3 - Labor Day Holiday (Fitness Center Closed)
• November 2 - Last Day to Withdraw from Classes
• November 2 - Last Day to Change from Credit to Audit
• November 22 - 25 - Thanksgiving Holiday (Fitness Center Closed)
• December 3 - 7 - Post-Test Assessments (Must have completed 15 workouts and sign-up at the front desk)
• December 10 - Last day for workouts
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.