Roane State Community College
An applicant who is a citizen or a permanent resident of a country other than the United States is classified as an international student.
English Proficiency: An international student or permanent resident whose native language is NOT English must satisfy one of the following prerequisites:
- Submit a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 173 on the computer-based TOEFL or 61 on the internet-based TOEFL.
- Submit a transcript showing graduation from an American high school.
- Submit a transcript from another U.S. institution showing satisfactory completion (a minimum grade of C must be achieved in college-level English Composition I).
It is the responsibility of the international student to be familiar with the regulations of the Department of Homeland Security & Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services and assume responsiblity for complying with these regulations.
The following should be submitted to the Admissions Office no later than 30 days prior to the beginning date of the term the applicant wishes to enroll.
- Application for admission.
- Official copies of academic records from secondary schools, colleges or universities accompanied by notarized or certified English translation of these documents.
- International students under 21 years of age must submit ACT or SAT scores.
- Placement assessment may be required dependent upon age, admission category (new or transfer), and ACT/SAT scores. Enrollment in courses indicated by results of the assessment is mandatory.
- For F-1 (student) visas, evidence of financial resources adequate for all expenses for at least one year of enrollment is required. The first year fees and expenses total $25,000. (This figure is an estimate and is subject to change.) Additional funds are required if the student plans to bring a spouse or dependent into the country. An official statement from a U.S. bank verifying these resources will meet this requirement. If original statement is in foreign currency, an official conversion to U.S. dollars from the foreign bank must accompany the statement.
- Provide documentation substantiating official status with the Department of Homeland Security's Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. (Passport, visa, I94, etc.) Official documents must be presented in person to the Admissions Office for validation.
- All international students are required to have health and accidental insurance from a Roane State approved US company. For information regarding health insurance, please refer to the link labeled "Health Benefit Concepts, Inc.".
- Provide proof of two doses of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccines if born in or after 1957.
- Provide proof of two doses of the Varicella (Chicken Pox) vaccine if born in or after 1980.
- Complete and sign the Hepatitis B Health History form.
All international students applying for admission pursuant to a student visa shall submit a certificate from a licensed physician or other qualified medical authority verifying freedom from tuberculosis within thirty (30) days from the first day of classes. Failure to submit such certification shall result in denial of further enrollment or admission. In the event that a student either has tuberculosis or has potential tuberculosis requiring medical treatment, continued enrollment will be conditioned upon the determination by a licensed physician that further enrollment does not present a risk to others and upon the student's compliance with any prescribed medical treatment program.
The student must meet all applicable requirements for regular admission to the college. Other requirements are as follows:
- Permanent Resident Alien card must be presented in person to the Admissions Office for validation.
- If native language is NOT English, submit TOEFL score of 500 on paper-based test or 173 on the computer-based test or meet one of the requirements from the English Proficiency section listed above.
*Appeals concerning English proficiency may be made to the Director of New Student Enrollment and Recruitment.
For more information please contact:
Click above for email address
Director of New Student Enrollment and Recruitment
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998