Healthcare Documentation Specialist (medical transcription/speech recognition editing)
Our online courses have been developed for student convenience. While this option will work well for some students, learning in this format is not for everyone. All classes require discipline; however, taking online classes requires more self-discipline and independence than traditional classroom courses. While an instructor will be available via e-mail to answer questions (asking questions is encouraged), the online student must be able to function fairly independently.
Benefits of Online Courses
- Convenience: Students choosing the online course option benefit from being able to do all coursework at their convenience. However, assignment due dates will be established and must be adhered to.
- Online assistance: Instructors assist by answering questions via e-mail and our MTClient software.
Online medical transcription course eligibility
The following criteria are recommended for online healthcare documentation courses.
- A score of at least 90 on the dictation portion of the MDT preadmission test is recommended.
- A typing speed of At least 45 wpm on the typing portion of the MDT preadmission test.
- A composite score of at least 90 on the MDT preadmission test.
- Internet/e-mail access from home.
- Provide the necessary equipment to work at home (see computer specifications)
Computer Specifications, Equipment and Internet Access
- Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer
- Microsoft Word 2010 (Word trial versions, Word Pad and Microsoft Works are not compatible.)
- Foot Pedal. You will need to purchase a special foot pedal for your computer. This foot pedal will enable you to access the dictation voice files (wave files). Once you are accepted into the program, information will be provided on purchasing the foot pedal.
- Headset. The other item you will need to purchase is a headset. Once you are accepted into the program, information will be provided on purchasing the headset.
- The student must have internet/e-mail access from home computer.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998