Roane State Community College
Why Roane State
Why Roane State
Because we are...
An affordable choice
- Great value: Tuition at Roane State is about half of four-year colleges. Whether you are interested in entering the workforce or transferring to a university, Roane State is an affordable way to reach your goals. View the tuition comparison.
- Abundant scholarship possibilities: Roane State students, combined, receive millions of dollars in assistance. In addition to lottery scholarships and federal and state grants, scholarships are available through the Roane State Foundation and other sources. Our Financial Aid staff can give you personalized attention throughout the process of applying for and receiving aid. Find Financial Aid Opportunities.
Able to accommodate your schedule
- Close to home: With nine campuses, Roane State is never far from a student’s home. Travel is not a barrier to a world-class education at Roane State.
- Flexible scheduling options: Roane State’s class schedule is student-friendly. Many of our students have responsibilities outside of school, and we provide convenient class options to make sure that earning a degree is manageable with work and family obligations.
Evening classes are available on several campuses. Through our rich selection of online courses, students can fit classes into even the busiest schedule. Dozens of courses are offered online, and more are added every year.
Students may also want to explore the Regents Online Campus Collaborative (ROCC), which enables students to earn a degree 100 percent online. Roane State is one of the state colleges participating in this unique program.
Roane State’s high-tech interactive classes allow students to take classes through live video teleconferencing. This is a great way to take courses offered at different campuses. For example, students from Wartburg can go to the nearby Morgan County campus to take a class offered in Oak Ridge. Through sophisticated software, the class is broadcast from Oak Ridge and beamed to the Morgan County campus. Students there can interact with their instructor in Oak Ridge, just as if they were sitting in the classroom, in person. Almost all Roane State campuses have special interactive classrooms.
From Jamestown to Huntsville, Harriman to Crossville, Loudon to LaFollette, Roane State can deliver world-class instruction online, through live video teleconferencing or in person. View Roane State's Class Schedule.
- Innovative programs: Roane State is always looking to provide exciting new opportunities for students.
Through Roane State’s 2+2 elementary education program with Tennessee Tech, students can earn an associate’s degree at Roane State, then transition into Tennessee’s Tech’s elementary education program while continuing to take classes at a Roane State campus.
High school students can earn college credit and high school credit at the same time through dual studies classes, and even receive funds to help with the costs. The Tennessee dual enrollment grant, funded by the state lottery, provides funds for dual studies courses, which are a great way to get a head start on college.
The Roane State-Tennessee Tech Fast Track 2+2 Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies program is an efficient, schedule-friendly way for working adults to earn a bachelor’s degree.
Roane State’s contemporary management program is designed specifically for working adults and features an accelerated schedule with limited class meetings. The college’s LPN Career Mobility program is designed to help licensed practical nurses (LPNs) become registered nurses while working full-time.
Transferring from Roane State to a four-year school is an affordable path to a bachelor’s degree and more convenient than ever thanks to Tennessee Transfer Pathways and articulation agreements.
Tennessee Transfer Pathways provide Roane State students with guaranteed, clear-cut roadmaps
to bachelor’s degrees. Every student entering Roane State can select one of the majors with an accompanying transfer pathway, complete required courses, earn an associate’s degree and transition seamlessly as a junior at a Tennessee public university.
All earned credit hours will apply toward a bachelor’s degree in the same discipline. If followed exactly, the pathways guarantee admission to all public universities in the state, except for the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, where competitive admission standards still apply. Some specific academic programs may have competitive admissions based on enrollment.
For information about Tennessee Transfer Pathways, visit www.tntransferpathway.org
. See the pathways available at Roane State
Roane State also has articulation agreements with four-year schools that streamline the transfer process
A leader in academics
- Programs that get you into the workforce quickly: Roane State has dozens of options that will help you enter the workforce in one or two years. We have programs in nursing, health sciences, business, law, education and technology. Learn more about our Career Pathways.
- Outstanding job-placement rate: A Roane State education leads to jobs in the fields that interest you. The college’s most recent job placement rate for career-preparation programs was 98 percent.
- Ahead of the competition: The average GPA of Roane State students who transfer to a university after completing two years at Roane State is consistently higher than the national average.
- A world of opportunities: Through the college’s International Education program, students have traveled to France, Italy, England, Ecuador, Haiti and other countries. Roane State offers opportunities to perform in plays and concerts, participate in art shows, hear lectures from world-famous scholars and many other wonderful learning experiences.
- One-on-one attention: Of course, Roane State also offers traditional classes. The classes are small, which means your teachers will know you personally. If you want to stay after class to ask a question, then Roane State faculty will be right there by your side. Many professors will give you their home phone number. Your success is their mission. Roane State’s Learning Centers provide excellent tutoring services and other resources designed to give students a helping hand, and on every campus you will find friendly, helpful people pleased to give you a friendly smile, a bit of advice, directions to the bookstore — whatever you need.