Roane State Community College
Roane State Scott and Cumberland campuses closed Friday, March 6 due to weather.
RSCC Policy BA-01-02; Athletic Team or other Group Travel
RSCC Policy BA-01-02; Athletic Team or other Group Travel
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: BA-01-02
Subject: Athletic Team or other Group Travel
This policy is established in recognition of the unique characteristics associated with travel by athletic personnel and teams and other groups. The purpose of the policy is to address practical considerations for travel related specifically to the performance of intercollegiate athletic recruiting, athletic team travel, and other authorized group travel. Travel for other purposes by athletic personnel and other groups shall be subject to the General Travel Policy (BA-01-01). All travel will be reimbursed subject to TBR Policy No. 4:03:03:00 unless a specific exception is provided below. In addition, each athletic department employee shall comply with all pertinent regulations of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the athletic conference of which the College is a member.
- Athletic Recruiting
- Approval for Travel - The following are subject to prior approval by the President:
- Blanket travel authorization for scouting or recruiting; and
- The travel of visitors and guests at institutional expense for any occasion related to recruiting.
- Guest Meals - The actual cost of guest meals may be claimed when incurred by a staff member for recruiting purposes by submitting a Guest Meal Authorization Form for approval. Receipts are required.
- Student Recruits
- Staff members are responsible for compliance with pertinent NCAA, NJCAA, and conference rules regarding student recruits.
- Arrangements may be made for lodging in local motels/hotels, and, with the approval of the Athletic Director or designee, may be charged in accordance with Section II. F. below.
- The use of campus dining services should be arranged and costs may be charged to the athletic department. If necessary, staff members will be reimbursed at cost for off-campus meals, by submitting a Guest Meal Authorization Form for approval, with reasonable and customary gratuities allowed. Receipts must accompany claims.
- Transportation may be arranged through a local travel service and charged to the athletic department with the approval of the Athletic Director or designee. Automobile mileage may be reimbursed to a student recruit at the maximum rate allowed under BA-01-01 for the use of a personal vehicle.
- Entertainment expenses may be reimbursed at cost within NCAA, NJCAA, and conference rules.
- All intercollegiate athletic recruiting, athletic team, or other group travel shall be subject to approval by the President. A travel authorization form must be submitted for approval prior to any team or group travel. The travel authorization may include all travel proposed for the entire season except for post season competition which must be submitted and authorized separately.
- College officials and guests of the College (other than assistant coaches, managers, scorebook keepers, etc.) that accompany the team or group on trips must be approved in advance by the President.
- In all cases, team or group transportation will be arranged through established college procedures, and travel itineraries are to be arranged in advance. If costs exceed the approved travel rates in RSCC policy BA-01-01, documentation must be maintained in the applicable department or office indicating that various cost alternatives have been explored before making all arrangements and reservations. However, if such arrangements are made by the College's purchasing office, that office will maintain all appropriate documentation.
- A team or group roster of all individuals on a particular trip must be included with the itinerary documentation and team/group travel authorization form for proper accounting and auditing purposes.
- A temporary travel advance in the amount of 100% of the estimated trip expenses may be allowed, provided the following conditions are met:
- A request for the advance, including estimated expenses, is submitted to the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance and is approved.
- One person from the athletic department or other appropriate department or office who is familiar with the travel regulations (trip coordinator) will be responsible for the advance and all bills connected with team or group travel.
- Receipts are required for all team or group travel expenses consistent with policy BA-01-01.
- Each employee receiving a temporary travel advance must sign a payroll deduction authorization form which will allow the State to recover the advance from any salary owed the employee in the event of termination of employment or failure to submit a travel claim. This deduction from payroll should be used as a last resort only in the event all other efforts to collect the advance have failed.
- Upon return, the employee should submit an expense claim or reimbursement request for any actual expenditures. The claim/request should show the total expenses being requested for reimbursement. The advanced amount should be subtracted from this total. A check should then be prepared for the additional amount due the employee. No advance should exceed actual expenses. If this does happen, however, the excess should be returned by the employee to the Business Office for deposit as a credit against the original advance with proper distribution being made of the actual expenses incurred.
- Lodging expenses shall not exceed the rates established by the College's travel policy, BA-01-01.
- A purchase order may be issued for sleeping room charges only. Telephone calls and other incidental charges must be paid for by the trip coordinator and included, if reimbursable, on the claim/reimbursement request filed after return.
- If authorized by the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance, lodging may be charged to a special business travel credit account maintained by the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance office under the same conditions as outlined in F.1.
- If a purchase order for lodging is not issued nor the lodging charged to the business travel credit account, the trip coordinator must pay for all lodging and incidental expenses and file a claim for reimbursement in accordance with Section E. 5.
- Miscellaneous expenses, such as movies while on team or group trips, must be supported by receipts. Telephone calls by staff members for business purposes may be claimed if documentation is provided on the telephone number and person called, and the purpose of the call.
- Individual meals associated with team or group travel will follow the College's General Travel policy, BA-01-01.
- Team or group travel meals or snacks will be reimbursed at actual cost. Gratuities not to exceed the usual and customary rate are allowed. Appropriate documentation and receipts are required unless meal logs are utilized.
If the employee (trip coordinator) distributes money to each team or group member for individual meals, then a written meal log must be maintained. This log must indicate how much each individual received, the purpose for which it was distributed, and bear the signature of each individual receiving the money. This log must be attached to the expense claim/reimbursement request submitted in accordance with Section E.5. If the travel advance was for meals only, the meal log may be submitted directly to the Business Office within three (3) business days after returning from the trip and will be used as the basis for clearing the meal advance.
- All travel claims and requisitions for team or group travel must be approved in writing by the Athletic Director and other appropriate approving authorities in accordance with other institutional policies or procedures.
- Other Group Travel
Travel by student groups or other groups of participants in programs or activities of the Institution may be reimbursed under the same provisions as included in Section II above. For group travel associated with voluntary participation in an activity by students and/or guests of the Institution, a hold harmless agreement must be executed by the student or guest before departure. Agreements are available from the RSCC homepage, keyword “hold harmless”.
The Chancellor or his or her designee may approve exceptions to the requirements of this policy in appropriate cases.
Revision History: 02/02/2004, 06/04/2007, 11/24/2008
TBR Policy Reference: 4:03:03:50
Revision Date Effective: 11/24/2008
Revision Approval By: Sherry L. Hoppe, President
Original Date Effective: 09/20/1994
Original Approval By: Gary Goff, President
Office Responsible: Executive Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College