Most summer term classes are online. Phased reopening of campuses is underway.
Check for the latest on the college's response to COVID-19. For information on CARES Act disbursements, visit

Skip to Main Content
Roane State Community CollegeRoane State Community College

Roane State Community College

Reconnect. Free tuition for adults. Get started now. See RequirementsFree tuition for adults. Get started now. See Requirements
How to Transfer to a University
RSCC Home>
Articulation & Transferring Credits - Frequently Asked Questions

Articulation & Transferring Credits - Frequently Asked Questions

I am planning to take some courses but not get a degree from Roane State before I transfer to a university/college. How do I know if my credits will transfer?

Roane State has course transfer equivalency tables with several TN colleges and universities. Review the RSCC website, Academic Advising for additional information. Since Roane State is an accredited institution, most of the credits transfer. Whether or not the courses will count as fulfilling program requirements is a decision of the receiving institution.

I'm transferring to Florida Atlantic University and don't see an articulation agreement. Can you tell me what they will accept?

It will be up to the receiving institution to decide which courses they will accept. The student should review the university website for academic major information. In addition, the student should establish contact with an admissions officer or advisor for their major department. RSCC students are encouraged to make contact with their senior institution during their freshman year in order to prevent taking unnecessary courses.

I only lack 1 course at Roane State to complete the articulation agreement. Should I stay another semester to complete that one course?

This can be tricky! It's very dependent on which course the student lacks. RSCC articulation agreements include more than the degree requirements for the AA/AS degree. In most situations it's better for the student to go ahead and graduate with the AA/AS degree and forget about the last class for the articulation agreement so that they can progress at the senior institution. The only time it might be important to complete the articulation agreement is for highly competitive programs at the university.

I'm planning to attend MTSU and major in Journalism. RSCC doesn't have an articulation program. How do I know what classes I should take?

It's important to first obtain the program/curriculum information from MTSU. Using the course equivalency table for MTSU that is located on the RSCC University Transfer Program webpage, he/she can identify courses that can be taken at RSCC. The AA/AS degree checklist should be used to plan a program that will meet RSCC degree requirements.

I am following the TN Transfer Pathway for Mechanical Engineering.  However, the courses are not the same as what is required for my transfer institution.  What should I do?

The TN Transfer Pathways are good guides if a student is unsure of their senior institution.  Once you decide on a transfer institution, then review their curriculum and utilize the Associate of Science (AS) degree checklist and select courses appropriately.  You will also want to change your major to the AS - General Studies. 

I've been following the TN Transfer Pathway for the AS degree in Social Work and the one for Psychology. Do I get two separate degrees?

RSCC only awards the Associate of Arts (AA) and the Associate of Science (AS) degrees in the University Transfer Program. The concentrations are only for advisement purposes. Therefore, the student cannot get two different degrees as they are really only one degree. See the RSCC Catalog for more information.


Amy Keeling • (865) 354-3000 ext. 4257 • Click name for email address

Connect with us

© Roane State Community College

Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities.​​​​​​​ View full non-discrimination policy.

Tennessee's Community Colleges

Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse

Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998