Roane State Community College
Roane State campuses are closed for the holidays. Campuses will reopen Jan. 5. Happy holidays!
Surgical Technology Program
The goals of this program are to:
- Consistently meet the needs of area employers seeking to hire qualified Surgical Technologists.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to gain employment as entry-level surgical technologists and become contributing members of the health care team.
- Provide a relevant degree program for Surgical Technologists that includes college-level coursework in management and leadership applicable to a healthcare institution.
These goals will be accomplished by:
- Preparing competent graduates in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains;
- Meeting or exceeding the criteria set forth in the current CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines for the Accreditation of Educational Programs in Surgical Technology.”
Upon program completion, the graduate will be able to:
- Correlate the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology to their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Demonstrate a safe and professional level of practice and knowledge in their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Acquire an understanding of the ethical, legal, moral, and medical values related to the patient and the surgical team during the perioperative experience.
- Correlate the elements, action, and use of medications and anesthetic agents used during the perioperative experience.
- Implement safe practice techniques in regards to perioperative routines, patient transportation, positioning, and emergency procedures.
- Integrate principles of surgical asepsis as part of the perioperative experience.
- Accurately apply knowledge and skills of a professional Surgical Technologist to address the biopsychosocial needs of the surgical patient.
- Perform proficiently and competently as an entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains.
- Value the professional attributes of the Surgical Technologist.
© Roane State Community College