Roane State Community College
Policy Number: PA-25-01
Subject: Professional Development
Roane State Community College is committed to providing quality services to its clients. Among the various measures of institutional effectiveness and success are the continual growth and professional development of all employees. RSCC accepts the institutional responsibilities necessary to support a comprehensive program designed for the maintenance and improvement of existing skills as well as the acquisition of new ones for these individuals.
The primary responsibility for providing quality instruction rests with the faculty, and they should take advantage of every opportunity to increase their abilities to create and manage learning experiences for students. These opportunities include activities provided by RSCC itself, professional organizations, and individual activities developed by faculty members.
In order to support professional development, RSCC commits to:
- Providing funds for faculty and staff to participate in a major conference, workshop, or similar event at least once every three years. In the case of an individual who holds office in a state and/or national organization, efforts will be made to support annual participation in the related conference or annual meeting.
- Providing leave time to attend the professional development functions with appropriate arrangements for classes missed.
- Providing leaves of absence and sabbatical leaves for individuals to pursue advanced degrees or participate in special programs requiring extended absence. A leave of this type should be based on the individual's status and the needs of the institution.
- Including professional development as a component of faculty and staff evaluation with particular attention given to the role of such activities in the determination of promotion and tenure for faculty.
In order to take advantage of these opportunities, each faculty and staff member is encouraged to do one or more of the following:
- Having an annual plan of personal/professional growth that reflects the individual's perception of his/her need for improvement as well as the RSCC institutional needs.
- Holding membership in professional organizations and/or participating in professional development activities sponsored by these groups.
- Participating in the RSCC in-service program activities.
- Requesting funds and leave to participate in a major conference, workshop, or similar activity according to a time cycle established mutually by the individual and the institution.
- Executing individually determined activities that are part of the personal professional growth plan which could include "practice" (work experience away from the academic setting).
(Originally RSCC policy AA-06-01, PA-26-01)
Revision History: 07/01/19990, 01/03/1991, 10/01/1999
TBR Policy Reference: 5:02:01:05
TBR Guideline Reference: A-051
Revision Date Effective: 10/01/1999
Revision Approval By: Sherry L. Hoppe, President
Original Date Effective: 01/11/1988
Original Approval By: Cuyler A. Dunbar, President
Office Responsible: Executive Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998