Roane State Community College
- The instructor has the primary responsibility for maintenance of academic integrity and controlling classroom behavior, and can order the temporary removal or exclusion from the classroom of any student engaged in disruptive conduct or conduct that violates the general rules and policies of the institution for each class session during which the conduct occurs. Extended or permanent exclusion from the classroom, beyond the session in which the conduct occurred, or further disciplinary action can be effected only through appropriate procedures of the institution.
- Plagiarism, cheating, and other forms of academic dishonesty are prohibited. Students guilty of academic misconduct, either directly or indirectly through participation or assistance, are immediately responsible to the instructor of the class. In addition to other possible disciplinary sanctions which may be imposed through the regular institutional procedures as a result of academic misconduct, the instructor has the authority to assign an appropriate grade, including an “F” or a “zero” for the exercise or examination. In cases where the instructor imposes Summary Academic Discipline by assigning an “F” for the course rather than a single exercise or assignment, the instructor shall make a written notification to the appropriate Academic Dean and the Assistant Vice President of Student Services/Dean of Students for an “F” to be assigned to the class in question. Disciplinary sanctions will be imposed only through appropriate institutional disciplinary processes coordinated by the Assistant Vice President of Student Services/Dean of Students when deemed necessary.
- Students may appeal a grade assignment associated with a finding of academic misconduct, as distinct from a student disciplinary sanction, through appropriate institutional academic misconduct or grade appeal procedures. Courses may not be dropped pending the final resolution of an allegation of academic misconduct. At RSCC, an administrative hold may be placed on the student’s registration by the Registrar per notification to the appropriate Academic Dean pending final resolution of the allegation of academic misconduct. In order to initiate an administrative hold for suspicion of academic misconduct, an instructor will notify the appropriate Academic Dean. If the Academic Dean is satisfied that an administrative hold is warranted, he/she will notify the Registrar, who will implement the hold. The administrative hold may be implemented even if the student has dropped the course in question. If the allegation is disproven, the administrative hold will be lifted by the Registrar as directed by the appropriate Academic Dean or Vice-President of Student Learning. Grade appeal procedures can be found at roanestate.edu/catalog/?id=238.
- Disruptive behavior in the classroom may be defined as, but not limited to, behavior that obstructs or disrupts the learning environment (e.g., offensive language, harassment of students and professors, repeated outbursts from a student which disrupt the flow of instruction or prevent concentration on the subject taught, failure to cooperate in maintaining classroom decorum, etc.), text messaging, and the continued use of any electronic or other noise or light emitting device which disturbs others (e.g., disturbing noises from beepers, cell phones, palm pilots, lap-top computers, games, etc.).
- Other conduct violations as described in handbooks for specific programs of study.
For further information regarding Academic Misconduct, please refer to the RSCC Academic Misconduct web page: roanestate.edu/?7825-Academic-Misconduct.
For further information regarding the Student Disciplinary Policy, please refer to RSCC SA-06-01 Student Disciplinary Policy.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998