Roane State Community College
The following guidelines are used to determine “in-state” or “out-of-state” status for fees and tuition.
- Every person having his or her residence in this state shall be classified as “in-state” for fee, tuition and admission purposes.
- Every person not having his or her residence in this state shall be classified “out-of-state” for fee, tuition and admission purposes.
- The residence of a dependent* is that of his or her parent. “Parent” shall mean a person’s father or mother. If there is a non-parental guardian or legal custodian of dependent, then “parent” shall mean such guardian or legal custodian provided there are not circumstances indicating that such guardianship or custodianship was created primarily for the purpose of conferring the status of an “in-state” student on the dependent.
- The residence of a married person can be determined based on the residence of the spouse.
- A recent graduate of any “out-of-state” high school must supply evidence of Tennessee residency before receiving “in-state” tuition status. Copies of property deeds or property tax payment statements are acceptable evidence.
- Dependent students of divorced parents shall be classified “in-state” when one parent’s residence, regardless of custodial status, is in Tennessee.
- International students shall be classified “out-of-state” for tuition and admission purposes.
- Students classified by Immigration as a Permanent Resident, Resident Alien, or Refugee may be classified as “in-state” if their residence is in Tennessee.
- Persons not living in Tennessee but employed full-time in Tennessee shall be classified “in-state” for tuition purposes as long as they maintain a part-time registration status. The student must provide appropriate documentation.
- A veteran, or any individual entitled to the veteran's educational benefits, enrolled in RSCC shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition or any out-of-state fee, if the veteran:
To continue to qualify for in-state tuition and fees, a veteran or entitled individual shall:
- Has not been dishonorably discharged from a branch of the United States armed forces or the national guard;
- Is eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits or Montgomery GI Bill benefits; and
- Enrolls in the TBR institution, after satisfying all admission requirements, within three years (3) after the date of discharge as reflected on the veteran’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, Form DD-214, or an equivalent document.
- Maintain continuous enrollment as defined by the TBR institution at which the veteran is enrolled; and
- Within one (1) year of enrolling in the TBR institution:
- Register to vote in this state; or
- Demonstrate by objective evidence intent to be a resident of this state by obtaining at least two (2) of the following:
- A Tennessee driver license;
- A Tennessee motor vehicle registration;
- Proof of established employment in the state; or
- Other documentation clearly evidencing domicile or residence in the state, as determined by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
An application for In-State classification may be obtained from the Admissions and Records Office or at any Roane State location. All questions should be directed to the Admissions and Records.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship or lawful presence in the United States will be required from any student who receives In-State tuition.
* Dependent shall mean a person whose parents have not entirely surrendered the right to the care, custody and earnings of such person and who are still under obligation to support or maintain the dependent person. A person the age of 18 or older is considered to be independent by the state. If a person 18 or older is to be considered dependent, the parent must provide a copy of a federal income tax return claiming the dependent.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998