Roane State Community College
The Academic Fresh Start program is designed to assist those students who have had a minimum 4-year separation from college and who demonstrate a greater level of academic maturity as a result of that separation. Students who did not realize their full academic potential during their first attempt at the college experience are being given a second chance to meet their educational goals without penalty. Through the Academic Fresh Start program, students are given a second chance to begin their academic careers by removing previously taken courses from the current academic statistics. Although the courses will not be physically removed from the student’s academic record, they will no longer be calculated in the quality point average (QPA) computation and will no longer apply toward the fulfillment of any college requirement.
- "Academic Fresh Start" is a plan of academic forgiveness which allows undergraduate students who have experienced academic difficulty to make a clean start upon returning to college after an extended absence.
- The Academic Fresh Start allows eligible students to resume study without being penalized for his/her past unsatisfactory scholarship and signals the initiation of a new QPA/GPA to be used for determining academic standing.
- Readmitted students who were formally enrolled in the institution as well as transfer students who meet institutional requirements for admission and who have been separated from all institutions of higher education for a minimum of four (4) years are eligible for the Fresh Start.
- Institutional policies governing the readmission of former students and admission of transfer students must be in compliance with TBR policy 2:03:00:00 Admissions.
- This policy requires that the "transfer applicant's grade point average on transferable courses must be at least equal to that which the institution requires for the readmission of its own students.
- Applicants who do not meet the institution's standards may be admitted on scholastic probation or other appropriate condition. (2:03:00:00 Section II.B.3.)
- Each institution may establish an Academic Fresh Start provision which must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Separation from all collegiate institutions for at least four (4) years.
- Anytime after the readmission or admission as a degree student, file a formal application to the office as defined by the institution's catalog requesting the Academic Fresh Start and describing and academic plan. Forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office.
- Only those students pursuing an associate degree are eligible for Academic Fresh Start.
- Any student who has already earned an Associate degree or higher is not eligible for Academic Fresh Start.
Terms of Academic Fresh Start
- Once the student has satisfied the above requirements, the institution may grant the Academic Fresh Start. The student may be granted a Fresh Start only once.
- The student's permanent record will remain a record of all work; however, courses taken and previously failed will be excluded from the calculation of the QPA/GPA. Courses with a D grade will also be excluded from the calculation when a grade of C or better is required in the student's current major. QPA, GPA and credit hours will reflect courses for which passing grades were earned and retained.
- Retained grades will be calculated in the Fresh Start QPA/GPA.
- Courses with a D or F grades must be repeated at the institution when they are required in the student's current major. All remaining courses for the current degree objectives must be completed at the institution. No transient credit will be accepted after invoking Academic Fresh Start.
- The application of retained credit toward degree requirements will be determined by the requirement currently in effect at the time the academic renewal status is conferred on the student. Specific program regulations must also be met.
- Previously satisfied Assessment and Placement Program (COMPASS) requirements will not be forfeited.
- Upon degree admission, Fresh Start applicants who did not satisfy COMPASS requirements at the time of previous enrollment and whose academic plan includes completion of a college-level English or mathematics course must meet current Academic Assessment and Placement Program (COMPAS) requirements regarding enrollment in college English and mathematics courses.
- The student's transcript will note that the Fresh Start was made and the date of the Fresh Start.
- The student will apply for the Fresh Start with the understanding that all TBR institutions will honor a Fresh Start provision granted at another TBR institution. The student should also signify understanding that non-TBR institutions may not accept the QPA as it is calculated with the Fresh Start.
- This policy in independent of financial aid regulations. Financial aid requirements at the time of application will apply. Therefore, a Fresh Start applicant should check with his/her financial aid counselor for guidance.
© Roane State Community College