Roane State Community College
The Academic Fresh Start program is designed to assist those students who have had a minimum 4-year separation from college and who demonstrate a greater level of academic maturity as a result of that separation. Students who did not realize their full academic potential during their first attempt at the college experience are being given a second chance to meet their educational goals without penalty. Through the Academic Fresh Start program, students are given a second chance to begin their academic careers by removing all previously taken courses from the current academic statistics. Although the courses will not be physically removed from the student’s academic record, they will no longer be calculated in the quality point average (QPA) computation and will no longer apply toward the fulfillment of any college requirement.
- Separation from all colleges or universities for a minimum of four complete calendar years.
- At the time of readmission or admission as a degree student, a formal application should be filed with the Admissions and Records Office requesting Academic Fresh Start. Forms are available in the Admissions and Records Office.
- The student must accumulate 18 semester hours with a minimum GPA of 2.5 after applying for Academic Fresh Start upon admission/readmission as a degree student.
- Only those students pursuing an associate degree are eligible for Academic Fresh Start.
- Any student who has already earned an Associate degree or higher is not eligible for Academic Fresh Start.
Terms of Academic Fresh Start
- Academic Fresh Start applies to all courses taken prior to the 4-year separation. All work attempted before the date of separation will be removed from consideration toward fulfillment of degree requirements. Previously satisfied placement testing requirements will not be forfeited.
- Once the student has satisfied the above student requirements, the registrar will review the student’s transcript at the time the student accumulates the required number of hours to verify that the student has met policy requirements.
- The student will be notified in writing of the results of his/her application for Academic Fresh Start. All written documents will be placed in the student’s file.
- Upon approval by the registrar, the transcript will be updated to reflect “ACADEMIC FRESH START” with the effective date.
- All grades/courses taken prior to re-enrollment will be given inactive status and will remain listed on the transcript but will not be calculated in current academic statistics (earned hours, attempted hours, cumulative grade point average). Students are advised that all course work is calculated in attempted hours for Financial Aid purposes even if an Academic Fresh Start is approved.
- Academic Fresh Start will be granted only once, and when granted, is irrevocable.
- The student will apply for Fresh Start with the understanding that all TBR institutions will honor a Fresh Start provision granted at another TBR institution. The student should also signify understanding that non-TBR institutions may not accept the QPA as it is calculated with the Fresh Start.
© Roane State Community College