Request For Fee Discount For Spouse And/Or Dependent
The Tennessee Board of Regents Policy No. 5:01:04:50:
The Tennessee Board of Regents Policy No. 5:01:04:50 establishes a Student Fee Discount Program for spouses and dependent children of TBR employees. The following guidelines implement provisions of this policy.
1. In order to qualify for student fee discounts for spouses and dependent children, the following conditions must be met:
a. The employee must be a regular employee in an active pay status or working a minimum of 50 percent of the time or more at a TBR Institution.
1. The status of the employee on the first day of classes for each term shall he used to determine eligibility and the amount of the student fee discount for his or her spouse and/or dependent children; a change in employee status after the first day of classes shall not affect eligibility for and the amount of the fee discount for that term but will affect eligibility for and the amount of the discount for future terms.
2. Employees who are on leave of absence with pay and those on leave of absence due to an on-the-job injury will retain eligibility; the employee’s percent of effort immediately prior to the effective date of the leave or absence shall determine the amount of the student fee discount.
3. Employees on leave of absence without pay, except due to an on-the-job injury are not eligible.
4. If a regular employee also qualifies under this policy as an employee spouse or dependent child, other fee waiver and staff development provisions for employees shall take precedence.
b. Spouses and dependent children must be admitted to the TBR institution or area school through the respective institution’s standard admission procedures.
c. Dependent children shall be defined as:
1. The employee’s natural children 26 years of age or under;
2. The employee’s stepchildren, provided such children are 26 years of age or under and living with the employee in a parent/child relationship;
3. The employee’s legally adopted children who are 26 years of age or under; or
4. Any other individuals who are 26 years of age or under and living in a parent/child relationship with the employee, such as children of a deceased parent who are being raised by a grandparent who is a TBR employee.
d. The employee must complete a “Request for Fee Discount for Spouse and/or Dependent” form and forward to the Human Resources Office for approval.
2. The amount of the student fee discount for spouses and dependent children of full time employees shall be no more than one-half (50%) of the undergraduate maintenance fee. Spouses and dependent children of eligible part-time employees shall receive a pro rata portion of the one-half discount based on the employee’s percentage of work effort.
a. The discount shall not be applicable to other fees, ie. application for admission, special course fees, access fees, activity fees, etc.
b. The amount of the discount will be rounded upward to the nearest dollar.
c. The appropriate discount will be computed by Business Office Personnel during the fee payment step of the registration process.
3. The student fee discount shall apply only to undergraduate courses at TBR institutions and area schools.
a. Eligible spouses and/or dependent children may enroll in any number of courses up to and including full-time study.
b. The student fee discount does not apply to correspondence or non-credit courses, except those at the area schools.
4. Continued eligibility for fee discounts under this policy is contingent upon the student maintaining satisfactory academic progress in accordance with the academic policies and procedures at the institution/school where the student is enrolled.
5. The cost of fee discounts will be charged to a special scholarship account at the institution/school where the student enrolls.