Roane State Students,
The college is preparing to disburse approximately $1.6 million in emergency student aid that has been provided to us through Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF) authorized by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA). 95% of those funds are designated for eligible students and the remaining 5% will be distributed through special payments to students with additional need. We know you will have questions about this so we’ve done our best to answer some of them below.
IF I’M ELIGIBLE, HOW MUCH WILL I RECEIVE?
The total allocation of funds received will be distributed to our student population per guidelines of the Tennessee Board of Regents and in accordance to the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). The aid amounts that will be distributed to eligible students depend on several factors, including Federal Pell Grant eligibility and number of students enrolled at the time of processing. Due to the fluid nature of student enrollment, exact payment amounts cannot be determined until the day of processing. Total funds were allocated to Pell eligible and non-Pell eligible students with the allocation for Pell eligible students reflecting a 15% higher funding level applied to the overall population. Awards will be distributed equally among students identified for each category.
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE?
Per USDOE guidance, DACA, undocumented and international students are not eligible to receive emergency aid funds. Students with a dual enrollment classification (including Middle College), transient and non-degree seeking students are also ineligible.
WHEN AND HOW WILL THE FUNDS BE DISTRIBUTED?
Roane State’s business office expects to begin the disbursement process this week. Any disbursed emergency grant funds will be released by either refund check or direct deposit, depending on if you have an e-refund profile setup with the college. For those receiving direct deposit, remember that payment may not be reflected immediately on your account. Please allow time for your financial institution to receive and post the funds. The payment will be displayed as “HEERFRELIEF2” on student accounts.
DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO GET THE FUNDS?
No action is required by eligible students as long as we have your current address and/or direct deposit bank information on file. Aid will be sent automatically if you qualify. Recipients will be notified by RSCC email.
WHAT ARE THESE DISBURSEMENTS FOR?
For students who qualify, USDOE regulations require funds be used to cover expenses that may have been impacted by COVID-19. This includes eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, transportation, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care (including mental health care), and child care. Therefore, any emergency grant funds disbursed must be used for such qualifying expenses.
A student’s acceptance of the funding is considered confirmation that they have a qualifying expense. If you wish to return the funds, you must contact Roane State’s business office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WILL MY FINANCIAL AID BE REDUCED NEXT SEMESTER?
HEERF payments will not affect your regular financial aid.
IF I HAVE A NEED FOR ADDITIONAL FUNDING, IS MORE ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE?
Yes, eligible students who have incurred costs related to attendance, transportation, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care (including mental health care), and child care may request additional funds up to $500 by submitting an online form at roanestate.edu/CRRSAA. The online form will ask for your name, R number, address, phone number, and the amount you are requesting. This additional emergency aid will be available on a first come, first served basis until available funds are depleted.
Requests will be reviewed weekly. Requests above $500 can be submitted, but those requests will require justification and documentation supporting your request be sent to CRRSAA@roanestate.edu.
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS… WHAT CAN I DO?
Our team is available to assist you with any additional questions you may have at this time. Visit roanestate.edu/CRRSAA to review more detailed information and submit any questions you have to CRRSAA@roanestate.edu. Please be advised that if you send a message related to emergency aid from a non-Roane State email address, you may not receive a response or your response may be significantly delayed.
Thank you all and stay safe!
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.