Roane State Community College

Why Roane State Our Programs Student Resources Locations Apply Now Faculty/Staff Alumni/Community Workforce Programs

Campus Status

Traffic advisory for May 6-7 graduation ceremonies: I-40 bridge repair between Exit 350 and Exit 352 may cause traffic delays. Please plan accordingly.

Travel Guide

Travel Guide

Travel Guide

Need Help? Travel Contact Information:

Diane Mount
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 4342

Jamie Wilmoth
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 4222

Travel Authorization & Claim Forms

Please complete these forms for any travel occurring on or after July 1, 2014.


  1. Complete, print, and sign the Travel Authorization Form. (not required for local, non-overnight travel)
  2. Scan and attach the form as an external attachment into a new SciQuest requisition. Be sure to scan and attach as a 2nd external attachment any supporting documents (e.g. conference registration, mileage verification). Wait for approval. (not required for local, non-overnight travel)
  3. After incurring traveling expenses, complete, print , and sign one of the Travel Claim Forms. Be sure to add the travel authorization number to the form if applicable.
  4. Scan and attach the form as an external attachment into a SciQuest requisition. Be sure to scan and attach as a 2nd external attachment any receipts supporting the claim.

Contact your department secretary or Diane Mount if you need assistance.

Other Travel Forms

About this Guide

This guide is designed for use by any RSCC employee or group and is intended to serve as a reference source for the primary areas associated with travel necessary for the proper execution of official college business and objectives. Policy BA-01-01 contains the complete travel policies and procedures. Travel policies and reimbursement rates are subject to change from time to time.

Types of Travel

In general, travel falls into two categories:

  • Professional development – travel to meetings/conferences of a professional nature that will increase a person’s usefulness to the College.
  • Non-professional development – travel of a routine nature required for the proper execution of official College business.

For a complete description of travel budget account codes, please choose the travel account code link on this page.

Travel Authorization (Form TR-1)

Pursuant to the travel policy update on July 1, 2013, all college travel must be authorized in advance. All regular and temporary employees of the College are granted authorization for non-overnight travel on official College business, with the advance oral approval of his/her supervisor.  Employees whose employment requires regular in-state overnight travel may obtain blanket travel authorization in writing for such travel.  Otherwise, in-state overnight travel will require an individual travel authorization for each trip.  If travel into another state and return is in the same day, such travel is considered in-state travel and is subject to in-state travel provisions.

A Travel Authorization is required for all trips that are:

  • Overnight trips within state (excludes those with fully approved blanket overnight travel authorization)
  • Overnight trips outside the state/country (with or without airfare)
  • Travel funded by professional development budget and/or by Manly funds.  A copy of the conference brochure and registration form should be attached to the travel authorization.

Please allow sufficient time for processing the travel authorization form prior to the expected date of departure. No expenses will be reimbursed without a properly completed and approved authorization.


Prior to Departure – Form TR-1 must be completed. Approval must be obtained prior to departure as follows:

  • Faculty and Staff – your supervisor and vice president, the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance, and President
  • Senior Administrators – the President
  • Grant-funded Trips – in addition to the above, manager of grant/sponsored program is required
  • Out of Country – your supervisor and vice president, the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance, and President
  • Students – same as the above, regardless of the destination. When traveling as a student group, the group sponsor must submit a field trip application for approval and must execute a hold harmless agreement by the student or guest before departure. Field trip applications may be secured through the Vice President of Student Learning.  Hold Harmless Agreements are available in the Office of the Student Activities.

Travel authorizations must be fully approved prior to departure for trips which must submit form TR-1 pursuant to BA-01-01.  A fully approved TR-1 must be on file in the Business Office before departure and prior to final processsing of a purchase order for any conference/meeting registration fee.  A copy of the fully approved travel authorization is returned to the traveler and should be used as authorization for travel to commence. Travel authorization forms not fully approved prior to departure will require a written explanation detailing why proper authorization was not requested in advance.

Upon Return – A Claim for Traveling Expenses (Form TR-2 or Form TR-3) must be completed. The Executive Vice President for Business and Finance or his designee must review and approve all travel claims according to the established travel policy. In addition, the following departmental approvals are required:

  • Faculty and staff – your supervisor and/or budget manager
  • Senior administrators – the President
  • Grant funded trips – your supervisor and the manager of the grant/sponsored program


All travel must be by the most direct or expeditious route possible, and any employee who travels by an indirect route must bear any extra expense occasioned thereby. Mileage reimbursement will be allowed only for the official business mileage in excess of an employee’s normal commuting mileage (see BA-01-01).

  • Mileage – Point-to-point mileage is calculated using Google maps website.  Travel claims should list point-to-point mileage.
  • Standard Mileage – Standard mileage rates for travel between campuses are available, select the link "Standard Mileage Chart."
  • Vicinity Mileage – Miles driven that exceed allowable point-to-point mileage are considered vicinity. Vicinity miles should be shown separately from point-to-point miles on the Claim for Traveling Expenses and should include an explanation of the purpose of the vicinity miles.
  • Air Travel – The President’s Office will make reservations for air travel. Air travel cannot be booked until the travel authorization is fully approved. Contact the President’s Office for airfare estimates or attach requested flight preferences to the TR-2.
  • Taxi Fares, Tolls and Parking Fees – Receipts are not required for reimbursement of parking fees of $8.00 or less and reasonable taxi fares and tolls. Receipts are required for airport parking and hotel parking.


In-state and out-of-state lodging expenses incurred while on authorized travel will be reimbursable up to the maximum shown on the Addendum to the travel policy.

  • In-state Rate – Reimbursement will be made up to the maximum rate indicated in the Addendum based on the travel destination.
  • Out-of-State Rate - The maximum reimbursement rates for out-of-state travel are the same as those maintained by the U.S. General Services Administration for federal employees within the continental U.S. (CONUS). The CONUS list contains a standard reimbursement rate for lodging and meals and incidentals, and several pages of exceptions. Most destinations for out-of-state travel fall within the list of exceptions. The CONUS list is available on the General Services Administration web site at
  • Convention, Conference, or Seminar Lodging - Higher rates for lodging at the location of a convention or conference will be allowed, without special approval, up to the amount indicated in the convention or conference brochure.  The conference or convention brochure that indicates the lodging rate must be included with the travel authorization.
  • Lodging Taxes – Sales tax on lodging costs is reimbursable.
  • Fee for Handling of Equipment or Promotional Materials – Reimbursable up to $20 per hotel.
  • Shared Lodging – When employees share a hotel room, each employee should claim a proportionate share of the room cost, and include an explanation with the travel claim detailing dates and other employees with whom the room was shared. When lodging is shared with other than a TBR employee on authorized travel, the total cost of the room will be allowed, subject to the maximum listed in the Addendum.
  • Receipts – Lodging receipts, including the itemized room charges and taxes by day, are required.

Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE)

Meals while on authorized overnight travel will be reimbursed, subject to the maximum allowances provided in the Addendum. The M&IE rate, or fraction thereof, is payable to the traveler without itemization of expenses or receipts. The maximum per diem rate includes a fixed allowance for meals and for incidental expenses (tips for baggage handling, phone calls home, etc.).  See CONUS for current out of state M&IE rates.  In-state M&IE rates are included in the link above.

  • Non-overnight Travel – Reimbursement for meals will not be permitted when overnight travel is not involved.
  • Day of Departure and Day of Return – Reimbursement for M&IE for the day of departure and the day of return shall be 75% of the appropriate M&IE rate for the lodging location. Full day per diem shall be reimbursed up to the maximum listed in the Addendum between the day of departure and the day of return.  See Partial Day in table below.
  • Official Banquets – When the expenses for an official banquet is in excess of the per meal limits, as listed in the travel policy, the excess will be allowed provided a receipt is submitted or an appropriate explanation is provided on the travel claim form. Adjustments to the M&IE rate may be necessary when additional fees are charged for banquets/meals.


Per diem



































Partial Day

$38.25 $40.50 $44.25 $48 $51.75 $55.50

Miscellaneous Expenses

  • Personal Expenses – Reimbursement for meals will not be permitted when overnight travel is not involved.
  • Telephone and Fax Expenses – Charges for long distance telephone calls and/or faxes and local calls on official business will be allowed provided an explanation showing the date, the name and location called, and the purpose of the call is included on the travel claim or lodging receipt. Charges levied by motels for local phone service not related to use are reimbursable when appropriately identified on the travel claim.
  • Registration Fees – Registration fees for approved conferences, conventions, seminars or meetings will be allowed for reimbursement, if authorized in advance.
    • Prepaid by Employee – Employees may prepay registration fees after the travel authorization is fully approved. Reimbursement should be requested on the travel claim form. A receipt should be attached to the claim for traveling expenses.
    • Prepaid by RSCC – Registration fees may be prepaid by RSCC either by means of Procurement VISA Card or purchase order with a fully approved travel authorization. Please contact Purchasing Office for assistance with P-Card payment and purchase orders.  Please specify check with order is required when preparing requisitions in the event a payment must be processed with the purchase order.
  • Handling Fees – Fees for the handling of equipment or promotional materials will be reimbursed up to the maximum indicated in the Addendum.

Travel Advance

Normally, travel expenses should be paid when incurred by an employee, with reimbursement made to the employee for actual expenses upon proper submission of a claim for traveling expenses. Advances to eligible employees for up to 80% of anticipated expenses may be available. See travel policy for a detailed explanation.

Advances shall not be issued to any employee who:

  • has been issued a corporate card
  • is eligible for a corporate card but chooses not to apply
  • has had his/her corporate card cancelled or was refused a card based on the vendor’s credit requirements.

Corporate Card – UMB VISA

Corporate cards are made available, upon completion and approval of a UMB Bank VISA Corporate Travel Card Individual Account Application, to all regular full and part-time administrative and faculty employees. Completed applications should be submitted to the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance. Contact Carol Smith for an application.

Claim for Traveling Expenses (TR-2 or TR-3)

All claims for traveling expenses should be submitted on the form designated for this purpose. Receipts are required for registration fees paid by employee, lodging, parking above maximum rate, official banquets, etc. Receipts are not required for meals and incidental fees.

The standard form (TR-2 or TR-3) must be submitted and must:

  • be an original
  • show detail of expenses on a daily basis
  • list vicinity mileages on a separate line
  • be typed or completed in ink
  • signed by the employee in ink
  • be approved by the appropriate approving authority
  • be submitted in a timely manner, should be submitted no later than 30 days after completion of the trip.

Travel Reimbursement Rate Schedule

Current Rate

  • $0.47 per mile (effective 8/29/11 - until further notice)

Historical Rates

  • $0.40 per mile (effective 1/1/09 - 8/28/11)
  • $0.54 per mile (effective 10/1/08 - 12/31/08)
  • $0.46 per mile (effective 1/15/07 - 9/30/08)
  • $0.42 per mile (effective 1/1/06 - 1/14/07)
  • $0.46 per mile (effective 9/19/05 - 12/31/05)
  • $0.38 per mile (effective 1/1/05 - 9/18/05)
  • $0.35 per mile (effective 5/1/04 - 12/31/04)

The General reimbursement rates are included in the Addendum to the travel policy.

Need Help? Travel Contact Information:

Diane Mount
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 4342

Jamie Wilmoth
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 4222



Blanket Travel

Mileage & Maps

Lodging, Meal, Incidental Rates

International Education

Professional Development

Other Links

Roane State Community College
276 Patton Lane
Harriman, TN 37748-5011

(865) 354-3000 or toll free 866-462-7722
Block of links to social media and RaiderAlert Twitter Facebook YouTube Channel 15 Raider Alert
© Roane State Community College Tennessee's Community Colleges Tennessee Board of Regents / Tennessee Transfer Pathways Tennessee Board of Regents / TN eCampus

Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.

Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse

Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998