Roane State Community College
- RSCC Home
- Student Learning
Academic Misconduct Policy
Student Discipline Policy
Academic Misconduct Protocol
- As soon as possible, distribute the Academic Misconduct Agreement to students in your class. Read and discuss the Agreement with students and have them sign it. Collect the Agreements, make a copy of them, return one copy to the students, and keep one copy for your own records.
- When you suspect a student of academic misconduct, discuss the incident with the student as soon as possible and notify the Division Dean to prevent the student from dropping the course until the appeal process is completed.
- Within five days, fill out the Notification of Academic Misconduct Charge Form and have the student read and sign the form. Make two copies of the form, one for the student and one for yourself. Send the original form to your Division Dean.
- Give a copy of the Notification of Academic Misconduct Charge Form and the Academic Misconduct Appeal Form to the student. Inform the student of the student’s right to due process in appealing the grade.
- The student has two options upon being charged with academic misconduct:
- To have an institutional hearing (See Student Disciplinary Policy SA-06-01 for detailed description of the appeal process).
- To waive their right to the appeal process.
- To select an institutional hearing:
- The student will complete the Academic Misconduct Appeal Form and email it within five days to Dr. Shelley Esquivel, chair of the Academic Misconduct Appeals Committee. Her email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Within 15 business days, the Academic Misconduct Appeals Committee will hold a hearing. The Committee will be comprised of at least three individuals and include at least one student, none with an interest in the case.
- The matter will be resolved by the Academic Misconduct Appeals Committee, which will uphold, lessen, or overturn the penalty and issue a written decision to the student, the faculty member and academic dean.
- The student may appeal the decision of the Academic Misconduct Appeals Committee. To do so, the student must inform the President of the College in writing and within five business days of receipt of the Committee’s decision. The President’s decision is final.
- To waive the student’s right to an appeal, the student will check the appropriate box on the Academic Misconduct Appeal Form, then send it within five days to the appropriate Division Dean.
- The student’s failure to return the Academic Misconduct Appeal Form to the appropriate Division Dean within five days of receipt of the form constitutes a waiver of all hearing options.
- Any further discipline must be referred to the Dean of Students.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998