RSCC Policies & Guidelines
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-09-01
Subject: Key Control
- General Provisions
- Any individual requiring a key must complete the key control form themselves for processing. Access the key control form here or on the RSCC police department website https://www.roanestate.edu/?6826-Police-Department.
- Employees will be granted access according to individual need.
- Lost keys must be reported to the department head, supervisor, or campus administrator immediately. Additionally, the director of Public Safety/Chief of Campus Police must be notified of lost keys.
- Key Issue Guidelines
- Grand masters may be issued to the president, vice presidents, director of Physical Plant, supervisor of Facilities, and Chief of Police.
- Directors/Supervisors/Assistant Vice Presidents – May be issued keys to their individual offices/suites/rooms within the suites/other offices within their suites. Keys may also be issued to specialized areas such as computer closets, locker rooms, etc. with appropriate justification.
- Deans – May receive sub-masters to their suites and classrooms/areas most often used by their division.
- Administrative Assistant to the Deans – May be granted no more access than the dean.
- Faculty – May be issued keys to their individual offices and/or suite. Certain faculty may be issued a key to select specialized areas such as chemistry labs, EDU lab, the theater, etc.
- Other Individual Employees – Keys to their suite and individual offices based upon appropriate justification.
- Physical Plant Employees – Keys may be issued to designated maintenance areas such as maintenance closets, utility rooms, etc. Keys to other areas will be available on an as needed check-out basis.
- No keys will be issued to temporary employees unless absolutely necessary for the performance of the jobs assigned. Then access should be limited to only the particular areas needed.
- No keys will be issued to adjunct faculty, except private office keys, unless unusual circumstances dictate a need for keys. Then access should be limited to only the particular areas needed.
- No keys will be issued to students unless they hold an office in the Student Government Association or are responsible for an authorized activity that requires a private office, or other access.
- No keys will be issued to visitors unless they are providing services for the institution which requires work space for an extended period of time. These keys must be approved by the department head/vice president for whom the services are being provided.
- Building Entrance Keys – May be granted to directors/supervisors/deans/assistant vice president’s/faculty with appropriate justification. Any other employees granted building entrance keys would be on an exception basis and would require significant justification.
- The president may approve exceptions to the policy if appropriate.
- Approval Authorities
- All grand master key requests must be approved by the president.
- Master, sub-master, and outside door key requests must be approved by the appropriate vice president or the center/campus administrator if at a satellite campus.
- Individual door key requests must be approved at a level that reports to a vice president.
- All key requests will be subject to the review and approval of the Chief of Campus Police.
Issuing and Distribution
- The campus police department will issue all keys for all Roane State campuses.
- If the individual is not located at the main campus in Harriman, keys must be picked up and signed for at the satellite police post.
Collection of Keys
- It is the responsibility of the employee to return all keys that are no longer needed as a result of renovations, office changes, retirement, or assignment changes, or termination of employment. The keys must be returned to the campus police post where the employee work station is located.
- Upon termination of employment, all keys must be returned to the main police office at the Harriman Campus before the last payroll check is released.
- Maintenance of Records
- All key records will be maintained at the Roane County campus.
- To ensure that the records are up-to-date and accurate, a copy of the key control form will be forwarded to the campus police department by the issuing authority at all campus locations. This must be done immediately upon issuing or collecting keys.
- The Harriman Campus Police Department will be responsible for key issuance, records management and audits. Key records will be available for review upon request.
The Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police shall be responsible for development and maintenance of this policy for issuance by the Vice President for Business & Finance.
Revision History: 07/01/1990, 05/13/1996, 06/04/2007, 12/01/2009
Revision Date Effective: 10/31/2022
Revision Approval By: Christopher L. Whaley, President
Original Date Effective: 01/11/1988
Original Approval By: Cuyler A. Dunbar, President
Office Responsible: Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998