Getting Started: Understanding Your Assignment
Strong papers begin with good planning, and good planning begins with an understanding of the task at hand. If I do not understand my assignment, how can I be expected to execute it properly? The following is a series of steps to help you understand the textual clues within an assignment and apply those towards creating a successful paper.
- READ YOUR ASSIGNMENT COMPLETELY!
- RE-READ YOUR ASSIGNMENT COMPLETELY! Be sure to ask your teacher for clarification if you still need help! The only way you can know for sure is to ask!
- BREAK IT UP! Break up the assignment into simpler, smaller pieces.
- ORGANIZE! Create formal or informal outlines.
- WRITE! Create a narrowed thesis, and structure a formal introduction to set the tone for your paper.