My name is Tim Hunt and I am Roane State's Veterans Services Coordinator (SCO). It is my job to assist you with obtaining and utilizing your earned GI Bill educational benefits.
Contact me as soon as possible and we’ll discuss how Roane State Veteran Services can help you achieve your educational goals.
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 4210
Coordinator of Veteran's Services
Roane State Community College
276 Patton Lane
Harriman, TN 37748
GI Bill Education Programs
The category of benefits you may receive will depend upon when you served, your length of service, and other factors. You must be admitted to the college in a degree or certificate-seeking program to receive benefits.
Assistance including tuition and fees, books, supplies, and housing stipend depends upon your Letter of Eligibility rating from the VA.
To see an overview of available education programs, visit the GI Bill website.
To ask VA a question, to log on to e-benefits, to see frequently asked questions, and to explore in more detail the VA GI Bill benefits, visit the Veteran's Education Website.
Steps for Receiving Benefits for Service Members, Veterans & their Dependents
- Complete the VA on-line application (VONAPP). For your records, print a copy of your electronically submitted VONAPP.
- Provide the SCO with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA (may take VA 2 to 3 months after VONAPP submitted).
For Chapters 30, 31, 33 & 35, provide the SCO with a copy of yours’ or your sponsors’ DD 214 (Copy 4 – which includes the type of discharge at the bottom).
- Provide the SCO with a copy of your class schedule signed by your faculty academic advisor. VA only approves and pays for credits that are in your curriculum of study and listed under your declared major.
- If you are a chapter 1606, 1607 or 30 Service Member or Veteran, you must verify your attendance at the end of each month by calling 1-877-823-2378 or on the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) website.
- While you are waiting for your VONAPP to be processed, begin the RSCC admission steps below.
Steps for Becoming an RSCC Student
- Before any GI Bill benefits will be paid: you must be admitted to the college in a degree or certificate program. View the available academic programs and then complete the admissions application. View and request your official military education transcript be sent to Roane State at the JST website.
- Once you're admitted to the college, make an appointment with your academic advisor to determine which classes to take. Provide a copy (signed by your advisor) of your academic plan for the semester to the SCO.
- Maintain satisfactory class attendance and grades.
- Check your Roane State email account frequently for important information and updates.
Additional Financial Assistance to Supplement the GI Bill
Special Announcements / Upcoming Veterans Events
I can be reached via email, work phone, fax or personal cell. Contact info below:
work number: (865) 354-3000 ext. 4210
fax number: (865) 882-4552
personal cell, text/call: 757-816-8887.