Roane State Community College
3 Easy Steps to Receive Veteran's Services (VRAP students follow these steps – a NOBE in step 3 is not required):
Contact the VA for eligibility verification (if unsure of eligibility)
- Call the Veterans Administration Regional office 1-888-442-4551
- Choose the benefit you are applying for - click here for more info
Complete Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) at www.gibill.va.gov
- Click "Apply for Benefits"
- Click "Launch VONAPP"
- Complete VONAPP
- Submit Electronically to VA
Submit required documents to RSCC VA Certifying Official (see "Contact Us" section below) No certification for payment wil be made without all required documents.
- Certificate of Eligiblity from VA
- Member copy 4 of DD214
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if Chapter 1606 or 1607
- Copy of your class schedule signed by faculty advisor
Note: Check your Roane State email account frequently for important information and updates.
How to maintain eligibility
- Must be classified as a regular degree student or follow a VA approved certificate of study. Special students for credit or non-credit do not qualify.
- Must maintain the prescribed cumulative GPA listed under the Academic probation and Retention Standards in the RSCC catalog.
- Courses may be claimed for pay only one time whether taken at RSCC or transferred from another institution.
- Only courses specifically listed on a catalog page (as per major) or approved articulation agreement may be certified for payment. Courses taken for a student’s own personal enrichment will not be eligible for payment.
- Course substitution forms must be processed and approved by a faculty advisor as described in the RSCC catalog before the substituted course is claimed for payment.
- Veterans and other eligible persons can receive pay for remedial/developmental classes taken as regular classroom attendance (NOT web, video, or on-line or independent study) when a need can be shown. The pay received is taken from the total entitlement.
- If you change your major you must submit a change of major form to the RSCC records office and change your major electronically with the VA by going to the VONAPP and completing Form 22-1995 if you are a veteran or Form 22-5495 if you are a dependent/spouse of an eligible veteran.
NOTE: The certification process takes several weeks. Actual payment may take 2 to 3 months – you must make adequate arrangements to cover cost. Once enrolled maintain close contact with the VA Certifying Official. All class schedule changes must be reported – drop/adds may effect your monetary award. See www.gibill.va.gov for VA requirements (verification is required each month on the WAVE system or by calling 1-877-823-2378 - Not required for Chapter 35, 33, or 31).
276 Patton Lane, Harriman, TN 37748
Fax (865) 882-4683
Sandra Grice, Coordinator
VA Certifying Official
Please note that the VA certifying officials are not your academic advisors. You have been asssigned a faculty advisor and must see that preson. Your advisor's name can be found in Raidernet. Also, we cannot answer any questions related to payment by the VA. You must contact the VA for these questions.