RSCC Policies & Guidelines
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-13-05
Subject: Prevention of Workplace Violence
To provide all employees of Roane State Community College (RSCC) with a workplace environment free from physical violence, threats, and intimidation.
- Violence or threats means acts of violence or threats of aggression including gestures or oral or written expressions that
- Create fear of bodily harm
- Cause or can cause death or bodily injury
- Threaten the safety of a co-worker, student or member of the public
- Property damage
- Acts of violence and threats of violence include, but are not limited to, verbal (such as threats, harassment, abuse or intimidation), nonverbal (such as gestures and intimidation), written communication (such as notes, email), Physical (such as hitting, pushing, shoving, kicking, touching and assault), and other acts (such as arson, sabotage, vandalism and stalking).
- On the Work Site/In the Workplace means all real property owned or occupied by TBR or its institutions, RSCC vehicles and personal vehicles when in use performing state business.
- Reasonable Suspicion means the degree of knowledge sufficient to cause an ordinarily prudent and cautious person to believe that the circumstances being presented are more likely to be true than not. Reasonable suspicion must be based on an articulable, specific and objective basis and may include direct observation; or information received from a source believed to be reliable.
- Employee means, for purposes of this policy only, persons receiving a payroll check from RSCC.
- A commitment to a safe and healthy workplace
- The college has a strong commitment to its employees to provide a safe, healthy and secure work environment.
- RSCC also expects its employees to maintain a high level of productivity and efficiency.
- The use of violence or threats of violence in the workplace are inconsistent with these objectives. RSCC expects all employees to report to the work site and perform their duties in a safe and productive manner without violence or threats of violence toward any other individual. Violence, threats, or intimidation toward any other individual will not be tolerated.
- RSCC policy GA-13-04, Firearms and Other Weapons, controls the possession and use of weapons on property owned or controlled by TBR and its institutions. Access the complete detailed RSCC policy GA-13-04 at www.roanestate.edu/policies/. To the extent that this policy conflicts with the provisions of that policy, that policy controls.
- The provisions of this policy apply to all employees of the college and all work sites owned or occupied by TBR or its institutions.
- This policy applies to any employee conduct, on or off the work site, which poses a substantial threat to persons or property within the institutional community.
- It is the responsibility of Human Resources to ensure that all employees are informed about this policy. This policy shall be posted on the RSCC website and a copy of the policy shall be made available to each new employee.
- Employees who witness violence or threats of violence must immediately report such conduct to campus or local law enforcement, appropriate supervisor and the human resources office.
- Employees who are victims of violence or threats of violence in the workplace are encouraged to report such conduct to campus or local law enforcement, the appropriate supervisor and/or the human resources officer.
- Prohibited Activities
Roane State Community College specifically prohibits the following:
- Possessing, storing or using a weapon in violation of RSCC policy GA-13-04, Firearms and Other Weapons.
- Refusing to submit to an inspection for the presence of a prohibited weapon based on reasonable suspicion.
- Refusing to allow inspection of personal storage areas based on a reasonable suspicion that a prohibited weapon or weapons will be found in such area.
- Conviction under any criminal statute for the illegal use or possession of a weapon or for committing a violent act against the person or property of another.
TBR Policy Reference: 5.01.00.01
Original Date Effective: 07/20/2020
Original Approval By: Christopher L. Whaley, President
Office Responsible: Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998