An additional round of emergency aid is available to help Spring 2022 students with college expenses impacted by the pandemic. A two-question survey is required for payment. Be sure to complete both questions and click "survey complete." Check your email or visit roanestate.edu/ARPA for info.
These funds have been expended.
Please see the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) page for the latest emergency aid information (Fall 2021).
Posted: March 18, 2021
Roane State is preparing to disburse emergency student aid that has been provided to us through Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF). This is new funding established by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) of 2021.
Do you need emergency aid in addition to HEERF aid?
See emergency request information below.
Looking for last year's information? See CARES Act funding from 2020.
The Higher Education Emergency Relief Funding (HEERF) is authorized by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) that was signed into law in December of 2020. The U.S. Department of Education announced in January 2021 that more than $21 billion would be provided to higher education institutions to ensure learning continues for students during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Roane State has been allocated approximately $1.6 million in emergency aid as part of these efforts. 95% of those funds are designated for eligible students and the remaining 5% will be distributed through special payments to students with additional need.
Learn more about CRRSAA on the U.S. Department of Education website.
The total allocation of funds received will be distributed to Roane State’s student population per guidelines of the Tennessee Board of Regents and in accordance to the U.S. Department of Education (USDOE). The aid amounts that will be distributed to eligible students depend on a number of factors, including Federal Pell Grant eligibility and number of students enrolled at the time of processing. Due to the fluid nature of student enrollment, exact payment amounts cannot be determined until the day of processing. Total funds were allocated to Pell eligible and non-Pell eligible students with the allocation for Pell eligible students reflecting a 15% higher funding level applied to the overall population. Awards will be distributed equally among students identified for each category.
Per USDOE guidance, DACA, undocumented and international students are not eligible to receive emergency aid funds. Students with a dual enrollment classification (including Middle College), transient and non-degree seeking students are also ineligible.
Roane State’s business office expects to begin the disbursement process on March 19, 2021. Any disbursed emergency grant funds will be released by either refund check or direct deposit, depending on if you have an e-refund profile setup with the college. For those receiving direct deposit, remember that payment may not be reflected immediately on your account. Please allow time for your financial institution to receive and post the funds. The payment will be displayed as "HEERFRELIEF2" on student accounts.
No action is required by eligible Roane State students as long as the college has a current address and/or direct deposit bank information on file. Aid will be sent automatically to qualifying students. Recipients will be notified by RSCC email.
For students who qualify, USDOE regulations require funds be used to cover expenses that may have been impacted by COVID-19. This includes eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance, transportation, food, housing, course materials, technology, health care (including mental health care), and child care. Therefore, any emergency grant funds disbursed must be used for such qualifying expenses.
A student’s acceptance of the funding is considered confirmation that they have a qualifying expense. If a student wishes to return the funds, they must contact Roane State’s business office by emailing email@example.com.
HEERF payments will not affect regular financial aid.
All emergency funding has been exhausted.
Our team is available to assist you! Submit any questions you have to CRRSAA@roanestate.edu. Please be advised that if you send a message related to emergency aid from a non-Roane State email address, you may not receive a response or your response may be significantly delayed.
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.