Surgical Technology Program
The goals of this program are to:
- Consistently meet the needs of area employers seeking to hire qualified Surgical Technologists as evidenced by job placement rates.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to gain employment as entry-level surgical technologists and become contributing members of the health care team as evidenced by the NBSTSA National Certification pass rates.
- Provide a relevant degree program for Surgical Technologists that includes college-level coursework in management and leadership applicable to a healthcare institution as evidenced by the Surgical Technology Program completion rate.
Upon program completion, the graduate will be able to perform proficiently and competently as an entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains. Graduate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Acquire an understanding of the ethical, legal, moral, and medical values related to the patient and the surgical team during the perioperative experience.
- Value the professional attributes of the Surgical Technologist.
- Correlate the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology to their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Correlate the elements, action, and use of medications and anesthetic agents used during the perioperative experience.
- Demonstrate a safe and professional level of practice and knowledge in their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Implement safe practice techniques in regards to perioperative routines, patient transportation, positioning, and emergency procedures.
- Integrate principles of surgical asepsis as part of the perioperative experience.
- Accurately apply knowledge and skills of a professional Surgical Technologist to address the biopsychosocial needs of the surgical patient.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998