Surgical Technology Program
The goals of this program are to:
- Consistently meet the needs of area employers seeking to hire qualified Surgical Technologists as evidenced by job placement rates.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge necessary to gain employment as entry-level surgical technologists and become contributing members of the health care team as evidenced by the NBSTSA National Certification pass rates.
- Provide a relevant degree program for Surgical Technologists that includes college-level coursework in management and leadership applicable to a healthcare institution as evidenced by the Surgical Technology Program completion rate.
Upon program completion, the graduate will be able to perform proficiently and competently as an entry-level surgical technologist in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains. Graduate competencies include, but are not limited to:
- Acquire an understanding of the ethical, legal, moral, and medical values related to the patient and the surgical team during the perioperative experience.
- Value the professional attributes of the Surgical Technologist.
- Correlate the knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, and microbiology to their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Correlate the elements, action, and use of medications and anesthetic agents used during the perioperative experience.
- Demonstrate a safe and professional level of practice and knowledge in their role as a Surgical Technologist.
- Implement safe practice techniques in regards to perioperative routines, patient transportation, positioning, and emergency procedures.
- Integrate principles of surgical asepsis as part of the perioperative experience.
- Accurately apply knowledge and skills of a professional Surgical Technologist to address the biopsychosocial needs of the surgical patient.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998