RSCC Policies & Guidelines
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-18-03
Subject: Electronic Information Systems (Email)
To provide procedures to be followed relative to the creation, distribution, management, use, and oversight of email systems.
This policy applies to:
- All electronic mail systems and services provided or owned by the college.
- All users, holders, and uses of RSCC email services.
- All college email records in the possession of RSCC employees or other email users of electronic mail services provided by the college.
- This policy applies only to electronic mail in its electronic form. The policy does not apply to printed copies of electronic mail. Other college record management policies, however, do not distinguish among the media in which records are generated or stored. Electronic mail messages, therefore, in either their electronic or printed forms, are subject to those other policies, including provisions of those policies regarding retention and disclosure.
- This policy applies equally to transactional information (such as email headers, summaries, addresses, and addressees) associated with email records as it does to the contents of those records.
- Systems Covered
This policy applies to any system that provides electronic messaging capabilities that require an account created and distributed by the college. The most prominent systems that this policy applies to are the campus email system for employees and students and the Momentum email system for faculty and students.
- General Procedures
- All computer systems at RSCC are expected to be used for activities that support educational/business purposes that benefit only the college. This applies to email messaging systems as well. All personal activities/correspondence should be restricted to non-RSCC email accounts. Email messaging should utilize a professional format and tone and not include harassing or objectionable words, statements, or pictures. Email should not contain links to external websites or materials that one would find harassing or objectionable.
- The use of email on any system is governed by the policies of RSCC, TBR, and the state of Tennessee. All user and email accounts are owned by RSCC. The college reserves the right to inspect, audit, archive, or review any system, account, or offline storage at any time without notification to the user. Additionally, Roane State can restrict access to any system or account as necessary.
- Account Creation and Termination
- Email access for the campus email system is provided only to current employees who are actively employed. Employees who terminate employment, take extended leave, or retire will have their account disabled restricting access to their account. Access to an employee’s account may be given to their supervisor or the supervisor’s designee, if requested. After a period of time the account and mailbox are subject to deletion. Returning retired, post-tenured, or rehired employees are not guaranteed to be given the same account username or email address upon their return.
- As students may need access before and after classes begin, student email and network access are retained while a student is enrolled or maintains enrollment eligibility, at the college. After one year of ineligibility, a student mailbox is subject to deletion and network access will be terminated.
- Responsible Party
The CIO of Information Technology shall be responsible for development and maintenance of this policy for issuance by the Vice President of Business & Finance.
Revision History: 02/18/2000, 11/10/2003, 06/25/2007, 02/08/2016, 06/26/2018
TBR Policy Reference: 1.08.00.00
Revision Date Effective: 09/11/2023
Revision Approval By: Christopher L. Whaley, President
Original Date Effective: 04/03/1995
Original Approval By: Sherry L. Hoppe, President
Office Responsible: Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998