RSCC Policies & Guidelines
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-31-01
Subject: Faculty and Staff Responsibilities to Externally Funded Grants and Contracts
The purpose of this policy is to establish the criteria and process regarding the responsibility of faculty and staff in regards to grant and other externally funded projects.
- Any proposals written in pursuit of external funding for the college must be consistent with the college mission and its goals and any monies derived from external sources shall be controlled and administered by the college.
- The preparation of proposals in pursuit of external funds shall be the responsibility of the Grants Office; however, all faculty and staff who may be expected to be involved in the implementation of the project must have the opportunity for input into the proposal preparation.
- While the first and primary responsibility of faculty is instruction, faculty members may be requested to work on special projects which are externally funded. In these cases, appropriate release time from classroom teaching will be granted.
- In no case will a new faculty tenure track appointment be made which is funded by external sources (soft money); however, if an existing faculty member who is tenured or on a tenure track is released to work on an externally funded project, this faculty member's tenure status will not be impacted by the temporary assignment.
- In no case will a faculty or staff member be required to work on a project which is externally funded and be compensated at a lower rate than that being received at the time of the assignment to the special project.
- Faculty compensation for externally funded projects which are implemented during the summer term shall be at the rate designated in TBR Policy 5:02:04:10 Faculty Compensation During Summer Session (Access the complete detailed TBR policy at https://policies.tbr.edu/).
(Originally RSCC policy AA-18-01)
Revision History: 07/01/1990; 07/01/1995; 11/08/1999, 12/15/2008, 05/23/2017
TBR Policy Reference: 5.02.03.30
Revision Date Effective: 02/27/2023
Revision Approval By: Christopher L. Whaley, President
Original Date Effective: 02/20/1989
Original Approval By: Sherry L. Hoppe, President
Office Responsible: Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998