Roane State Community College
Roane State accepts transfer credit from colleges and universities based on the following considerations:
- the comparability of the nature, content and level of credit earned to that offered by Roane State
- the appropriateness and applicability of the credit earned to programs offered by Roane State with regard to the student’s educational goals
- the education quality of the institution from which the credit was earned
The following policies and procedures govern the granting of credit for transfer coursework.
- Official transcripts of all previous college coursework must be sent to the college at the time of application. Foreign transcripts not issued in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Credit earned at a regionally or internationally accredited institution will be evaluated upon receipt of an official transcript for degree seeking students only.
- Transfer credit (quality hours, quality points and GPA) will not be included on the Roane State academic record.
- Courses earned with grades of A, B, C, D, or P will be considered for applicability toward a degree and certificate programs from Roane State. Only grades of A, B, C, or P will be accepted for Learning Support courses.
- Roane State grants non-traditional credit for military service and service schools in accordance with the guidelines established in ACE (American Council on Education) and DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support) published by the American Council on Education. Military service credit will be assigned a grade of P.
- Roane State grants non-traditional credit for CLEP (College Level Examination Program) and AP (Advance Placement) examinations. CLEP and AP credit will be assigned a grade of P. See “Acquiring Credit” in this catalog for credit requirements.
- Effective Fall 1999, Roane State will consider coursework from non-regionally accredited institutions as transfer coursework. Readmits and currently enrolled students may request credit consideration for coursework completed during or after Fall 1999. Credit requests must be made by completing an Application for Transfer of Credit form obtained from the Admissions and Records Office or any off campus location. A course competency examination may be required as part of the process. Students required to take a course competency exam will be notified after the request for transfer credit form has been reviewed by the appropriate academic department. To request a course competency exam, the student must complete a Credit by Proficiency form, available from the Admissions and Records Office or any off campus location. No fee is required for the exam when associated with transfer credit from a non-regionally accredited institution.
- Students must complete at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for their degree program through RSCC. Completion of 30 percent of course work in a certificate program must be completed at RSCC.
Transfer information can be obtained from Admissions and Records Office. Advisement and information regarding inter-institutional articulation are available at http://www.roanestate.edu/articulation or call toll free at 1-866-462-722 ext. 4597 or 865-882-4597.
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998