Roane State Community College
A student pursuing a degree at Roane State* and has never attended college before must complete the following:
- Submit an application for admission.
- Submit official high school transcripts or official copy of High School Equivalency (HSE) scores. Transcripts must be mailed directly to the Admissions and Records Office and should include date of graduation as well as verification that the student passed the required proficiency examination.
NOTE: The transcript of a home school student should be an official copy from an affiliated organization as defined by state law (T.C.A. 49-50-801). Transcripts from independent home school students must be accompanied by certification of registration with the superintendent of the local education agency which the student would otherwise attend. (A form is available upon request from the Admissions and Records Office.) Students unable to provide a satisfactory secondary school credential may substitute acceptable High School Equivalency (HSE) scores.
- All applicants under 21 years of age will be placed by ACT or SAT scores. Please see the placement chart at the end of this section. Roane State prefers the ACT but will accept the SAT. These scores will be used to determine the areas in which the student will be required to undergo placement assessment. Enrollment in the courses indicated by results of the assessment is mandatory.
- All applicants 21 years of age and older must undergo placement assessment with the Accuplacer Placement Exam. For college-level course entry, Accuplacer students must have a minimum of a 92 in the English subsection, 92 in the Math subsection, and an 85 in the Reading subsection.
- All students enrolled in Composition I will be evaluated during the first week of classes. Students showing deficiencies will be referred to testing for possible placement in appropriate Learning Support courses.
||Place in College English
||Place in Writing Learning Support
||ENGL 0510 and ENGL 1010 concurrently
||Place in College Level Math
||Place in Mathematics Learning Support
||MATH 0530 and MATH 1530 concurrently
MATH 0900 and MATH 1000 concurrently
||Place in College Level Courses
||Place in Reading Learning Support
||READ 0562 and HUM 262 or PSYC 1030 concurrently
* If you were dual-enrolled in college while still in high school and have not attended college AFTER high school graduation, then you would be considered as a new freshman, regardless of the number of college hours earned with dual-enrollment.
**SAT English 450-Above; SAT Math 460-Above
Detailed information about placement based on ACT and Accuplacer scores may be found on the Learning Support website
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998