Roane State Community College
RSCC Policy GA-06-02; Use of Facilities by Non-Affiliated Entities/Individuals (Facility Rentals)
RSCC Policy GA-06-02; Use of Facilities by Non-Affiliated Entities/Individuals (Facility Rentals)
Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-06-02
Subject: Use of Facilities by Non-Affiliated Entities/Individuals (Facility Rentals)
Roane State Community College (Roane State or College) regulates the use of its campus property and facilities in order to be consistent with the college mission and educational purpose through the implementation of reasonable, content/viewpoint neutral regulations. This policy, and all campus policies developed in compliance with the policy, shall be implemented and construed so as to ensure no undue disruption of that mission, promote an educational atmosphere on campus; prevent commercial exploitation of students; and prevent use of campus property and facilities contrary to federal, state or local law, regulation, or the rules and policies of the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR), the institutions, and schools.
In establishing this policy, and the related college policies, Roane State recognizes the importance to the educational process and environment for persons affiliated with the College including officially recognized student organizations and other groups to have reasonable access to, and use of, the educational facilities on campus, to hear various views. Simultaneously, Roane State also makes clear that its facilities are not open public forums, but are instead intended solely for use consistent with the advancement and orderly administration of its educational mission for the benefit of its students, staff, and affiliated entities. As such, Roane State does not ordinarily make its buildings or other facilities available to outside individuals or outside groups. Exceptions may be made only if the proposed use is consistent with this policy and institutional policy and mission.
Priority for the use of college facilities is in the following order: 1) credit and non-credit classes and programs, 2) college-sponsored activities, 3) all other requests for usage.
The use of certain Roane State Community College facilities by non-affiliated entities/individuals is allowed under the policies and guidelines prescribed in this policy and in Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Policy No.1:03:02:50, TBR Policy No. 1:03:02:10 and TBR Guideline B-026.
- General Guidelines
- A list of the facilities available for rental and the rental charges can be found on RSCC’s Facility Rental web page under General Fee Structure for Facility Rentals. Any facility not listed is unavailable for rental.
- To apply for use of the Exposition Center or other facilities at the Harriman campus individuals must complete the Facilities Usage Application (which can be found on RSCC’s Facility Rental web page) and submit it to the office of the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance (Attn: Diane Cox email@example.com). For use of the O'Brien Theatre or Princess Theatre individuals must complete the Facilities Usage Application (which can be found on RSCC’s Facility Rental web page) and submit it to the office of the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance (Attn: Megan Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org). For use of facilities at one of the other satellite campuses the application should be submitted to the site director for that campus as identified on the Facilities Usage Application.
- Unless otherwise stated, applications must be received at least 10 business days prior to the requested rental date(s). The College will consider applications received later than the stated dates but may not be able to accommodate late-filed requests. Please note that Roane State may not be able to accommodate certain requests made 10 business days in advance if the requests involve certain facilities, electrical or catering requests.
- When applying to use any of the college's facilities, please be aware that:
- All non-profit groups may be required to provide proof of non-profit status.
- Any activity that is scheduled must be consistent with college policies.
- Approval of a request for use of any Roane State facility is at the sole discretion of the college.
- If the space is available:
- The O'Brien Theatre and the gym may be reserved between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- The Expo Center may be reserved between 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- The Princess Theatre may be reserved between 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- All other college facilities may be reserved from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Priorities for the use of college facilities:
- Credit and non-credit classes and programs.
- College-sponsored activities.
- All other requests.
- Costs (General Fee Structure for Facility Rentals found on RSCC's Facility Rental web page): Exceptions to this policy can be made upon approval of the President of Roane State Community College or the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance. All groups including profit, non-profit, governments, and individuals must compensate the college for such products and services (at the rates listed) as, but not limited to, the following:
- Room rental.
- Damages to equipment or facilities.
- Additional college personnel needed for the event, including technical, custodial, electrical, and security staff.
- Technical equipment and supplies.
- Scheduling of Facilities
- The office of the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance (Attn: Diane Cox email@example.com) is responsible for receiving and processing all applications for use of Harriman campus (except for the O’Brien Theater) and will make all necessary arrangements regarding security, setup, and cleaning. Megan Anderson will receive and process all applications for the use of the O’Brien Theatre and the Princess Theatre (firstname.lastname@example.org). The site directors at the off-campus centers are responsible for receiving and processing the applications for their respective campus.
- All applicants will be notified via the email address provided on the application within seven business days of the completed application's receipt. If an application is denied, the reason will be provided and will be one or more of the reasons detailed in section III, Denial of the Use of Facilities. Any denial of a request will be based solely on factors related to reasonable regulations in light of the college's mission and the nature of the facility or property requested and rendered in a content/viewpoint neutral manner.
- In all cases where an application for access or use of campus facilities or property is approved, such use will be subject to the execution of an appropriate written agreement regarding the conditions applicable to the approved access/use, which shall include, but not be limited to, the terms and conditions set forth in this policy.
- Payment Policy
Unless stated otherwise herein, all payments of approved requests for facilities must be received prior to the rental date. If payment is not received prior to the rental date, the renting group may be denied access to the facility.
- Cancellation Policy
Unless stated otherwise, all cancellations of approved requests for facilities must be cancelled at least five business days prior to the event.
- The use and/or possession of alcoholic beverages on college property or property controlled by the college is prohibited.
- The college's marketing and communication department must review all press releases and advertisements prior to release regarding events scheduled using college facilities to ensure accuracy of the information being provided as it relates to the college.
- If it is determined more technical assistance is required above what is included in the facility rental rate, additional charges will apply.
- If rental is of outdoor spaces, and power is needed and available in the area, the group requesting use of the facility must meet with the college's physical plant director to determine electrical requirements at least two weeks prior to the date of the scheduled event. Working with the college's electrician is mandatory for all stage rentals requiring electrical set-up of more than a 110 volt receptacle. Additional installation and electrical usage charges will apply for any additional set-up. Any electrical installation must comply with all applicable codes.
- Roane State requires that all on-campus catering for the Harriman campus and Oak Ridge campus be provided by the college's food services vendor. Any food service needs must be arranged through the vendor's catering manager at least two weeks prior to the event. All arrangements for catering (including payment terms) will be between the renter and the food services vendor.
- The institution, at its discretion, may require a minimum one million dollar commercial general liability policy depending on the nature of the event. Roane State must be listed as an additional insured on the policy, and proof of coverage must be provided to the Business and Finance Office at least seven business days prior to the rental. Renting organization agrees to hold harmless the college in any instance involving damage and/or theft. The renting organization will be liable for any damages to the college's facilities and equipment and will be required to reimburse Roane State for all related expenses incurred, including, but not limited to cost of repair or replacement.
- Additional requirements pertaining to the O'Brien Theatre
- Scheduling criteria:
- Requests will generally be considered no earlier than 365 calendar days before the scheduled event.
- College departments have first priority in reserving the theatre. Non-college affiliated exhibitions can be scheduled in the facility if it is available. Reservations must be made through the office of the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance (Attn: Megan Anderson).
- Other criteria that may be used for scheduling:
- Demand for the particular space.
- Size of the audience.
- Compatibility with other college programming. Factors such as parking, noise level, and interference with regular college programming will be considered.
- Amount of time the space is needed.
- Rehearsal time for non-affiliated entities/individuals in the theatre may be scheduled on a limited basis at the published rental rate.
- General requirements
- No food or drinks are allowed in the O'Brien Theatre at any time. Concessions may be consumed in the lobby area prior to entering the theatre.
- The group requesting use of the O'Brien Theatre must meet with the theatre technician to determine technical requirements at least one month prior to the date of the scheduled event. If it is determined more technical assistance is required above what is included in the facility rental rate, additional charges will apply.
- The renting organization will be responsible for the coordination of all shipping and receiving of equipment and materials. Roane State will not deliver any materials to the theatre and shipments cannot be accepted by college employees. Storage space is not available in the theatre or adjoining areas.
- The renting organization must agree to pay all facility rental invoices within thirty days of invoice date, less any deposits, unless previous arrangements have been made with the office of the Executive Vice President for Business and Finance. If outstanding balances must be referred for collection, the renting organization shall be responsible for any and all costs incurred by Roane State to collect the debt including but not limited to attorneys' fees. If an account is under collection status, new rentals by that renting organization will not be approved until all current balances are cleared. Future rentals by a renting organization that has had an account referred to collection will be required to be pre-paid.
- Rental of the Expo Center requires additional terms as indicated in the contract located on the RSCC Facility Rental website.
- Rental of the Princess Theatre requires additional terms as indicated in the contract located on the RSCC Facility Rental website.
- General Conditions for Use of Property or Facilities
Once an affiliated or non-affiliated individual or entity has permission to use college property or facilities, including open access areas, the requirements outlined in this section, as well as all other requirements put forth in this policy, must be met. Violation of, or failure to comply with, the requirements set forth in this policy or other college policies may result in the immediate revocation of previously granted approval for access/use of campus facilities or property.
- Building codes, fire codes, and safety standards applicable to a particular facility and/or property must be met.
- All Roane State and TBR rules and/or policies must be followed.
- Sound amplification equipment may be used only when prior approval has been given by the appropriate official, taking into account the college mission and the nature of the facility or property requested, location, and time of day.
- All individuals and/or entities using college property and/or facilities must agree to indemnify the College and hold it harmless from any and all liabilities arising out of such use of the property and/or facilities, including, but not limited to, personal injury, property damage, court costs and attorney's fees.
- All persons operating motor vehicles in conjunction with an approved use/access of campus facilities and/or property shall be subject to College and TBR rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding traffic and parking.
- Users of facilities or property and/or their sponsor(s) are responsible for all activities associated with the event.
- Use of the requested facility and/or property shall be limited to the declared purpose in the application for use/access to campus facilities and/or property.
- Access to, or use of, campus facilities shall not be permitted overnight unless specifically requested and approved pursuant to the requirements of this policy and/or other applicable College policies. Such use shall be limited to the specific time and location set forth in the notice of approval/registration document.
- All persons on campus in conjunction with an approved application for use/access shall provide adequate identification upon request to appropriate officials and security personnel of the institution. Persons or groups who refuse to provide such identification may be subject to immediate removal from campus and/or disciplinary action. In appropriate circumstances, such persons may become subject to arrest and/or prosecution.
- Roane State shall have the right to terminate the use of campus facilities or property by any group, organization or individual which violates any provision of this policy, college policy, local, state, or federal law or regulation.
- Denial of the Use of Facilities
Roane State may deny affiliated entities or individuals or non-affiliated entities or individuals the use of college facilities, including open access areas, for any one of the following reasons:
- The property or facilities have been previously reserved by another group, organization or individual with equal or higher priority.
- Frequency of previous use during an academic period in comparison to that of a contemporaneous applicant.
- Use of the property or facilities requested would be impractical due to scheduled usage prior to or following the requested use, or due to other extenuating circumstances.
- The applicant or sponsor of the activity has not provided accurate or complete information required on the application for registration.
- The applicant or sponsor of the activity has been responsible for violation of college or TBR policy during a previously registered use of campus property or facilities.
- The applicant has previously violated any conditions or assurances specified in a previous registration application.
- The facility or property requested has not been designated as available for use for the time/date.
- The anticipated size or attendance for the event will exceed building/fire codes, established safety standards, and/or the physical or other limitations for the facility or property requested.
- The activity is of such nature or duration that it cannot reasonably be accommodated in the particular facility or area for which application is made.
- A determination that the size and/or location of the requested use would cause substantial disruption or interference with the normal activities of the institution, the educational use of other facilities or services on campus or the flow of vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
- The activity conflicts with existing contractual obligations of the institution.
- The activity presents a clear and present danger for physical harm, coercion, intimidation, or other invasion of lawful rights of the institution's officials, faculty members, or students, the damage or destruction, or seizure and subversion, of the institution's or school's buildings, other property, or for other campus disorder of a violent or destructive nature. In determining the existence of a clear and present danger, the responsible official may consider all relevant factors.
- A determination that the requested use would be contrary to local, state, or federal law, regulation, or the policies or regulations of the TBR, or the institution.
- The activity is of a non-charitable, profit-making nature.
- The College cannot accommodate the activity within the requested timeframe.
- Responsible Party
The Director of Public Safety/Chief of Campus Police shall be responsible for development and maintenance of this policy for issuance by the President.
Revision History: 07/01/1990, 04/22/1996, 30/13/1997, 01/10/2000, 06/13/2007, 06/05/2012, 10/01/2014
TBR Policy Reference: 1:03:02:50
Revision Date Effective: 10/01/2014
Revision Approval By: Christopher L. Whaley, President
Original Date Effective: 01/11/1988
Original Approval By: Cuyler A. Dunbar, President
Office Responsible: Office of the President
© Roane State Community College