Arts and Lectures Committee
Roane State Community College's Arts & Lectures Committee strives to enrich lives throughout the college and community by creating and sponsoring a broad variety of cultural and artistic events. The Committee attempts to promote critical thinking, multicultural awareness and intellectual curiosity by presenting programs that challenge worldviews and stimulate discussion on topics of current and enduring human interest.
- Cinema Lecture Series - Faculty members from RSCC present academic analyses/discussions of beloved and cult movies.
- Films for Fun Series - Films are shown as a standalone event.
- Lecturer Series - Regional and national experts share their knowledge on a variety of topics—historical, cultural, literary, and political.
- Writers at Roane State Reading Series - Authors from RSCC and the region present excerpts from their published works and discuss research, writing as craft, and the process of publishing before answering audience questions.
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), March 18, 2022
- March 18, 2022: Princess Theater, 6:30 PM, The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951). Speaker before movie: Adjunct History teacher David Adkins.
- February 11, 2022: Princess Theatre, 6:30 PM, Blithe Spirit (2020).
- November 8, 2021: "Four Simple Secrets Every Fiction Writer Must Know" by Professor Patrick Wensink, Assistant Professor of Creative Writing at Lincoln Memorial University. Watch online.
- October 28, 2021, Princess Theatre, Halloween Movie night: Interview with a Vampire. Dr. Ralph Monday gave a brief lecture on vampire myth and lore before the movie.
- September 30, 2021, Lecturer Series - “There’s No Crying in Baseball.” Lecturer: Elizabeth Kitts. Watch recording.
- September 17, 2021, Princess Theatre, 6:30 PM. Cinema Lecture Series - “Forbidden Planet: Classic 1950s Science Fiction”—Forbidden Planet. Lecturer: Ralph Monday.
- September 17, 2021, Constitution Day virtual event for 2021, Lecturer Series - “From Declaration to Constitution and Back.” Guest lecturer: Stewart Harris. Watch recording.
- September 17, 2020, Constitution Day event for 2020, Lecturer Series—Tyler Boyd, author of Tennessee Statesman Harry T. Burn: Woman Suffrage, Free Elections & a Life of Service.
- February 28, 2020, Films for Fun Series—Pretty in Pink.
- December 16, 2019, Films for Fun Series—Scrooged.
- November 26, 2019, Cinema Lecture Series—“The Wormholes in Wonka”—Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factor. Lecturer: DeAnna Stephens.
- October 25, 2019, Cinema Lecture Series—Scary Movies at the Princess—Trick ‘r Treat and The Cabin in the Woods. Lecturer: Abby Schoolfield.
- October 17, 2019, Writers at Roane State Reading Series—Peggy Fragopoulos, author of VoiceTraks: Cold Case Abduction.
- August 8, 2019, Writers at Roane State Reading Series—John Brown, author of Harriman.
- March 13, 2019, Writers at Roane State Reading Series—Ralph Monday, author of the following books: Bergman’s Island & Other Poems; Narcissus the Sorcerer; Empty Houses and American Renditions; All American Girls and Other Poems.
- August 30-31, 2018, Cinema Lecture Series—Hitchcock Film Festival: The Girl, Marnie, and Spellbound. Lecturer: DeAnna Stephens
- March 1, 2017, Writers at Roane State Reading Series—Marilyn Mascaro, author of Surviving History: The Life of B.Y. Harris in East Tennessee.
- October 20, 2016, Cinema Lecture Series—"Understanding the Characters in Hitchcock’s Psycho: A Mythological Perspective.” Lecturer: DeAnna Stephens.
The Arts and Lectures Committee is seeking presenters who are qualified to speak on a variety of issues/themes. Potential speakers will need to consider the following conditions:
- Topics need to relate to and reinforce the purpose of the Committee.
- Speakers should convey expertise on the given topic and be able to present their knowledge in an engaging manner to a variety of audiences.
- The Committee can offer an honorarium from $50–$200, depending upon available funds during a given term, for guest lecturers in the Lecturer Series.
Let the Arts and Lectures Committee know about potential lecturers or writers. Please submit the individual’s name, a short description of that nominee, and why that person’s ideas should be shared. If you are employed by RSCC and would like to nominate yourself as a presenter, please see the portion of the form titled “RSCC-Affiliated Lecturer’s/Writer’s Information.”
Presenters Application/Nomination Form
- John Brown
- Roger Finn
- Melinda Gill
- Geol Greenlee
- Gary Heidinger
- Melanie Hildebrandt - cochair
- Ralph Monday
- Jayme Nair
- John Noto
- Abigail Schoolfield - cochair
- DeAnna Stephens
- Bryan Wilkerson
Abigail E Schoolfield
Click above for email address
(865) 354-3000 ext. 5264
276 Patton Lane
Harriman, TN 37748
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity or national origin, sex, disability, age, status as protected veteran or any other class protected by Federal or State laws and regulation and by Tennessee board of Regents policies with respect to employment, programs, and activities. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998