Roane State Community College
Policy Number: GA-30-01
Subject: Memberships and Subscriptions
- The following guidelines will be followed when requesting approval for institutional memberships and subscriptions for Roane State Community College (RSCC). Memberships or subscriptions purchased with restricted gift, grant, or contract funds are not subject to this policy. Campus libraries are exempt from this policy.
- The requesting unit head will be required to submit the appropriate Membership or Subscription Approval form (located on the Business and Finance web page) and documentation that the membership or subscription is directly related to the goals and mission of the college or department. Directly related to the mission means a membership or publication subscription without which the mission of the college or department would be impossible or difficult to perform.
- The college will not pay membership dues or subscriptions of an individual when the membership is primarily to enhance an employee's professional status.
- Duplicate memberships and subscriptions should be avoided; if a duplicate membership or subscription is requested, documentation must be submitted justifying the need for duplication.
- The college will not pay for memberships in civic organizations.
- The president must approve all memberships and subscriptions prior to ordering.
- Subscriptions to political publications will not be approved except in the library.
- RSCC will not pay the membership dues or subscription of an individual. An exception may be granted in instances where an organization does not permit institutional membership or where an individual membership (in the name of an institutional representative) is less expensive than an institutional membership.
- Where membership dues are included as part or all of the expense of an organization meeting for which RSCC pays the expense of an employee to attend, the appropriate expenses shall be considered membership dues and subject to the approval process outlined herein. The only exception to this provision is for those instances where the registration fee including the membership is less costly than the non-member registration fee. In such instances, the amount paid will be considered a registration fee and no part shall be considered a membership fee.
- Newspaper clipping services must be approved by the president and by the chancellor of the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR).
If utilized, the Public Relations Office will keep on file the justification for the clipping service. It shall include (1) the subjects to be clipped; (2) the type of service requested (daily newspapers, etc.); (3) the use of the information provided by the service including to whom the clippings are circulated in the institution; (4) how the clippings benefit the college; and (5) evidence that the clipping service is the most economical means of meeting the institution's needs.
Revision History: 07/01/1990, 04/01/1996, 02/07/2000, 11/11/2003, 11/10/2008
TBR Policy Reference: G-080
Revision Date Effective: 11/10/2008
Revision Approval By: Gary Goff, President
Original Date Effective: 06/19/1989
Original Approval By: Sherry L. Hoppe, President
Office Responsible: Vice President for Business & Finance
© Roane State Community College
Roane State Community College is a TBR and AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against students, employees, or applicants for admission or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or any other legally protected class with respect to all employment, programs and activities sponsored by Roane State. View full non-discrimination policy.
Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998